Jul 17, 2011, 11:30 AM EST
Jason Kidd is the ageless wonder. Just ask the Mavericks. Pretty much all the Mavericks made a dozen or so “Jason Kidd is old” jokes during the Finals. It was their go-to move for discussing the 38-year-old championship point guard. But instead of joking about it, we really should be impressed with the fact that Kidd has stayed in such incredible shape during his career to allow him to play this long. 38 means he’s no spring chicken, but he’s not only doing fine, he’s still thriving to a degree, having adjusted his game to add a 3-point shot, this late in his career.
So how long can this thing go on?
At the American Century Classic yesterday in Lake Tahoe, NBC’s Jimmy Roberts asked him (the video is below, be sure to watch just to admire Kidd’s hat):
“Hopefully I got three years left. I have a year on my deal and then I would like to get past 40 and then watch the young guys play.”
Forty is quickly becoming the new 35, as players are all aiming for playing that long. Ray Allen, Kobe Bryant, and Steve Nash are among the players who have mentioned playing that long in the past. By the end of it, Kidd will no longer be a starter due to the toll age takes on the body, but he’ll still be in a position to bring experience and a few “same old Kidd” plays a game. His experience was stunningly apparent in the Finals, as he didn’t blow anyone away with highlight reel plays, he just always knew the right play to make, barring a Game 5 series of turnovers. He consistently made the play that needed to be made, accurately and efficiently. All the time put in keeping his game sharp is paying off now, and Kidd should be earning decent dough until he’s 40.
The best part is that with his championship ring, he can walk away now with no regrets. Just another effect of the fallout of the Mavericks winning the title.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Report: Timberwolves’ Ricky Rubio set to return Monday vs. Dallas 4
- Nike unveils latest signature shoe for Kobe Bryant, the Kobe X (PHOTOS) 11
- Report: Nuggets trying to trade for Brook Lopez 10
- Last summer Carmelo Anthony, Kobe Bryant talked, decided it wouldn’t work together 26
- Jimmy Butler even plans to play defense in the All-Star Game 8
- Damian Lillard “disappointed,” “disrespected” not to make All-Star team 45
- DeMarcus Cousins replaces Kobe Bryant in All-Star game 11
- Tyson Chandler, better than ever, thinking legacy 10