Jul 16, 2011, 5:00 PM EDT
If it takes two to tango, the unholy dance of David Kahn and Don Nelson together is halfway to the dance floor. After rumors popped up earlier this week of a potential meeting between the two for Nelson to take over as head coach following Kurt Rambis’ departure, Jerry Zgoda of the Minnesota Star-Tribune spoke with Nelson from his home in Maui and the 70-year-old talent-burying, beer-swilling, run-and-gun-and-run-some-more Hall of Famer made it pretty clear. He wants to coach again in Minnesota.
Don Nelson will gladly trade those breezy Hawaiian trade winds for Minnesota winters and the chance to coach again, this time with the Timberwolves.
“I think it’d be a great fit,” he said. “I love Minnesota.”
“They have an opening,” Nelson said, “and I don’t have a job.”
Now, that’s just Nelson wanting in. But at this late stage in the game, with most of the assistants who would take a gig for a team like Minnesota already snatched up, and with veterans like Rick Adelman wanting more control over the franchise, Nelson could look pretty good to Kahn. The Wolves brought in Nelson, so there must be a level of interest to start, and since it’s reciprocated, publicly, this thing has some long legs.
Granted, those legs can’t move laterally to keep defensive position, but still.
Zgoda also spoke to Nelson about Anthony Randolph who Nelson coached as a rookie and sophomore (and buried for the most part), with Nelson saying some unflattering things, and saying the same kind of things about Michael Beasley. But Nelson believes that the Wolves need to be better defensively, and that they can be that because they have Kevin Love who rebounds. Even though that has zero impact on actually stopping easy shots. Or that Nelson hasn’t been known to help a team defensively in the past twenty years. But whatever, just go with it, he’s rolling (hopefully not literally).
Nelson is used to coaching young teams. This team’s young. He needs talented guards. He’s got one in Ricky Rubio. His teams need versatile big men. He’s got Kevin Love.
But for a fanbase that has yearned for a winner for… well, ever, Nelson has to look like a horror movie figure walking into their place as their new roommate. Dibs on the remote!
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 0
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 11
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 4
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 7
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 27
- Report: Patrick Beverley out for rest of season, including playoffs 8