Jul 16, 2011, 3:00 PM EDT
See, this is why the media is always so skeptical of what teams tell them.
When Rod Thorn joined the Sixers, it was supposed to be happy-happy joy-joy in terms of his addition alongside Ed Stefanski. There wasn’t supposed to be any conflict, or issues. Stefanski was supposed to retain almost all of his power and work alongside Thorn, though Thorn’s title was higher. And there’s been no indication of a falling out or even friction between the two. But that doesn’t change the fact that Stefanski is looking for a lateral career move, which never speaks well for stability. Why leave a job you’re with to do the exact same thing elsewhere?
Stefanski was talked about in the discussions of a possible GM being brought in under Bryan Colangelo in Toronto. Colangelo would retain almost all of his power, but shed some of the workload to a GM. It’s basically an assistant GM position, considering Colangelo is a hands-on guy. So why would Stefanski, who has worked as “the guy” before, be interested in such a job? CSNPhilly reports:
Despite reports that he was a finalist for the position, Sixers general manager Ed Stefanski hasn’t yet interviewed for the Toronto Raptors’ vacant general manager position, according to a source.
Stefanski, who has been granted permission to speak with other teams, is expected to interview with the Raptors sometime in the next few weeks, however. Of course, since the NBA lockout is expected to drag on throughout the summer, there’s no rush to fill vacant management positions.
So Stefanski hasn’t interviewed with the Raptors yet, but is going to, and has been granted permission to speak with other teams. CSNPhilly notes that Jason Levien, one of the investors in the new ownership group, is expected to usurp Rod Thorn’s position as President, moving Thorn down. Things must be pretty clear that Stefanski is not expected to return to Philly for him to be actively seeking out new situations, even under other managers in this market.
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5
- Morris twins sign four-year extensions with Suns 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Washington Wizards 3
- Rockets’ Daryl Morey fires back at Mark Cuban: If you care about chemistry, why break up a title team? 35
- Deron Williams fires back at Kobe: “If I’m 0-for-f******-9, I’m not shooting 20 more shots” 43
- LeBron James on running the Cavaliers offense: ‘This is Kyrie’s show’ 28
- Tim Duncan on decision to opt in for final year of his contract: ‘There was some hesitation there’ 20