Jul 16, 2011, 1:00 PM EST
Allright, so this one’s a little complicated. Let’s work the NBA angle and go backwards.
Deron Williams signed with Besiktas. He even tweeted a photo of the signed contract and everything. But of course, that could get messy if the team can’t pay him. There have been concerns about overseas players betting paid in general due to financial concerns of the clubs, but Besiktas is considered a pretty solid club, what with their European football arm and all.
Funny story though. Jonathan Givony of Draft Express reports that Besiktas’ accounts are frozen in connection with allegations of football match-fixing. Whoops. From Reuters:
A Turkish court jailed the coach and deputy chairman of Istanbul club Besiktas pending trial on Wednesday in a match-fixing investigation which has overshadowed preparations for the new soccer season, media reports said.
The Istanbul court has already jailed 26 people including the chairman of champions Fenerbahce, who feature highly in the probe, and the latest ruling targeted a second of the city’s “Big Three” clubs which dominate Turkish football.
The Reuters article does not confirm Givony’s report on the accounts being frozen, but it would make sense considering the involvement of the federal government in Turkey. If brought to trial and convicted, this could put a major damper on Williams’ intentions to leave the states to make some money abroad. It would also grant the owners more power and squash the movement of players to Europe, given that no one wants to go through the hassle of being involved in something like this.
Match-fixing’s about as low-down as it gets in sports in America, but it’s important to remember the basketball club has had no charges brought against its members so far.
- Kobe is back but loss to Raptors shows Lakers still have a lot of work to do 2
- Sunday night NBA Grades: Rudy Gay traded to Kings, Kobe returns for Lakers 1
- Expect to see facilitator Kobe in his return to Lakers 5
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players 25
- Knicks lose by 41 points at home to Celtics 24
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)