Jul 16, 2011, 1:00 PM EDT
Allright, so this one’s a little complicated. Let’s work the NBA angle and go backwards.
Deron Williams signed with Besiktas. He even tweeted a photo of the signed contract and everything. But of course, that could get messy if the team can’t pay him. There have been concerns about overseas players betting paid in general due to financial concerns of the clubs, but Besiktas is considered a pretty solid club, what with their European football arm and all.
Funny story though. Jonathan Givony of Draft Express reports that Besiktas’ accounts are frozen in connection with allegations of football match-fixing. Whoops. From Reuters:
A Turkish court jailed the coach and deputy chairman of Istanbul club Besiktas pending trial on Wednesday in a match-fixing investigation which has overshadowed preparations for the new soccer season, media reports said.
The Istanbul court has already jailed 26 people including the chairman of champions Fenerbahce, who feature highly in the probe, and the latest ruling targeted a second of the city’s “Big Three” clubs which dominate Turkish football.
The Reuters article does not confirm Givony’s report on the accounts being frozen, but it would make sense considering the involvement of the federal government in Turkey. If brought to trial and convicted, this could put a major damper on Williams’ intentions to leave the states to make some money abroad. It would also grant the owners more power and squash the movement of players to Europe, given that no one wants to go through the hassle of being involved in something like this.
Match-fixing’s about as low-down as it gets in sports in America, but it’s important to remember the basketball club has had no charges brought against its members so far.
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 43
- LeBron announces he’ll wear No. 23 with Cavaliers 55
- Report: Lakers say ‘no done deal’ with Byron Scott 17
- Report: Lakers, Byron Scott agree to four-year, $17 million deal to coach team 15
- Kevin Love trade talk: He doesn’t want to opt in to deal, Cavs may live with that 40
- Kevin Love leaving Team USA not helpful, certainly not devastating either 19
- Why are the Lakers hiring Byron Scott as head coach? 46
- Report: NBA considering week-long break for All-Star Game next year 10