Jul 15, 2011, 2:23 PM EDT
Seems like every day one or more NBA players say they are open to the idea of playing overseas during the NBA lockout. While we have our doubts about how many will actually go (even if the lockout drags into the season), here’s a roundup of who is saying and doing what in the last 24 hours.
Sacramento Kings draft pick and soon-to-be marketing campaign focus Jimmer Fredette is not considering going overseas, that according to a tweet from Sean Cunningham of News10 in Sacramento. Not a real shock there, don’t expect any first round draft picks to head overseas — they will get paid a lot more to play in the NBA and they risk blowing all that by getting injured overseas. (The only exception is the guys drafted from European teams this past season, who may work out deals to remain until the lockout ends.)
We told you that Sahsa Vujacic is heading to Turkey, as had been expected.
Golden State point guard Stephen Curry said that he would consider options for playing in China if the lockout dragged on, as would teammate Dorell Wright, as reported in the Contra Costa Times. Guess which guy those teams want more. This is Curry following the players union company line, there are no offers now but if things drag out he may listen more seriously.
Also, Phoenix center Marcin Gortat said that he would entertain playing for a team in Russia if the lockout drags on, he told a Polish publication. He will also play for Poland in EuroBasket this summer.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 13
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 50