Shaq says LeBron’s travails “happened to everyone”

Jul 15, 2011, 8:08 AM EDT

Shaquille O'Neal AP

Shaquille O’Neal has been through the wars. He’s won a lot of rings, he’s lost in finals, he’s been loved and scorned by the media. Oh, and he had his own reality show. Think what you want of him, he understands a lot of what it takes to get things done in the NBA.

In Shaq’s press conference talking about joining the TNT studio show — which is now appointment viewing for NBA fans for the entertainment factor alone — he talked about what LeBron and the Heat went through this season, and how he relates to it as a veteran.

This first quote is from a Sports Illustrated podcast, talking about the criticism LeBron faced.

“I would not characterize it as unfair because like I said, it happened to everyone. It happened to (Michael) Jordan when he went to Atlantic City to get away from the game. It happened to Barkley. It happened to (Dennis) Rodman. It happened to Magic (Johnson). It happens to everybody. If it just started this year I would call it unfair, but I’ve been in the game for 20 years and I’ve seen similar stories.”

Ira Winderman from the Sun Sentinel has Shaq’s quotes about the Heat in general.

“They just came up against a team and it was their turn,” he said. “Dirk played unbelievable. They played together. I just think it was their turn.

“Michael Jordan told me a long time ago that before you succeed you must first learn to fail. This was the Big Three’s first time together and they made it very far and they are going to be together for a long time. I’m guaranteeing they will get back.”

Feel free to agree or disagree with Shaq — like Barkley on TNT it doesn’t matter. He’s not there for you to agree with, he’s there to do and say things that get you to tune in to the broadcast. Shaq — as he showed Thursday — will do that.

1. ezwriter69 - Jul 15, 2011 at 12:46 PM

“Shaq says hate, losing LeBron faced “happened to everyone”…
    What the bleep does that indecipherable babble mean? I read that five times, I still can’t make sense of it… one of us needs to put down the bong for awhile.

• chargerdillon - Jul 15, 2011 at 2:09 PM

Love Shaq but speaking isnt exactly his strongest ability. I love Charles too but as he’s getting older he’s becoming just another grumpy old man upset with too many changes in his world.

Charles had a relationship with Wade for awhile and the way he acted last year it seems like he really burned a bridge of trust and it’s starting to seem like the new youth in basketball doesnt exactly agree with Charles as much as he agrees with himself.

I don’t see how Shaq + Charles works very well no matter who they’re paired up with. If Shaq is totally candid the way Charles is/used to be, i think he’ll replace Charles in a few years

• icegibbon - Jul 15, 2011 at 2:31 PM

I think I deciphered it:
      Shaq says that the hate and the losing that Lebron has faced has “happened to everyone”.

• dgforreal - Jul 15, 2011 at 2:42 PM

It was hard to understand at first, but it kind of makes sense.

• dgforreal - Jul 15, 2011 at 2:43 PM

But then again I have a line on some good ****.

• mox19380 - Jul 15, 2011 at 3:18 PM

the worst part is Shaq didn’t even say that. Just a poor headline

2. sorensound - Jul 15, 2011 at 12:58 PM

this story makes no sense. What in the hell?

3. jaakkrt1 - Jul 15, 2011 at 2:21 PM

Yeah, I had to read it a couple of times to get it. I think he was saying…”The hate, and losing that Lebron faced happens to everyone. Of course I can’t be sure….

4. amitko - Jul 15, 2011 at 3:24 PM

Kurt – It is not unusual that you’d screw up half a dozen sentences in nearly every article.It is something we have gotten used to and can usually ignore ‘cuz when it comes to basketball insights, you ain’t too bad.
    Still, this one takes the cake.I am wondering how you got this job when you can’t even get the heading of your articles right.I think you could improve and just choose not to.

5. goforthanddie - Jul 15, 2011 at 6:27 PM

1-When was Shaq “hated”?
    2-When was Shaq his own worst enemy?

6. diablito0402 - Jul 15, 2011 at 9:48 PM

Checking out of games in the 4th quarters in playoffs happen to everyone, really, havent seen many elite players just hide like lebron does late in games.

7. blackngold4life - Jul 16, 2011 at 5:16 PM

OH LORD…SHAQ N BARKLEY TOGETHER? TNT IS TRIPPN..WE GONA NEED AN EBONICS HANDBOOK TO FIGURE OUT EHAT THE HELL THEIR SAYN..AND UNILL LABRON GETS A POST UP GAME (AGAINST SMALLER GUARDS) LIKE TERRY AND THAT JJ DUDE.. STOPS SETTLEING FOR 25FT JUMPERS..AND LEARNS TO TAKE A GAME OVER (WHEN IT COUNTS) THE BIG 3 (LMMFAO) AINT GOIN NOWHERE!! N YES IMA DIEHARD LAKER FAN CANT YA TELL

• pnoty96 - Jul 26, 2011 at 2:13 PM

Typical Alpha.

Courtesy of a NUPE.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches