Jul 15, 2011, 8:08 AM EST
Shaquille O’Neal has been through the wars. He’s won a lot of rings, he’s lost in finals, he’s been loved and scorned by the media. Oh, and he had his own reality show. Think what you want of him, he understands a lot of what it takes to get things done in the NBA.
In Shaq’s press conference talking about joining the TNT studio show — which is now appointment viewing for NBA fans for the entertainment factor alone — he talked about what LeBron and the Heat went through this season, and how he relates to it as a veteran.
This first quote is from a Sports Illustrated podcast, talking about the criticism LeBron faced.
“I would not characterize it as unfair because like I said, it happened to everyone. It happened to (Michael) Jordan when he went to Atlantic City to get away from the game. It happened to Barkley. It happened to (Dennis) Rodman. It happened to Magic (Johnson). It happens to everybody. If it just started this year I would call it unfair, but I’ve been in the game for 20 years and I’ve seen similar stories.”
Ira Winderman from the Sun Sentinel has Shaq’s quotes about the Heat in general.
“They just came up against a team and it was their turn,” he said. “Dirk played unbelievable. They played together. I just think it was their turn.
“Michael Jordan told me a long time ago that before you succeed you must first learn to fail. This was the Big Three’s first time together and they made it very far and they are going to be together for a long time. I’m guaranteeing they will get back.”
Feel free to agree or disagree with Shaq — like Barkley on TNT it doesn’t matter. He’s not there for you to agree with, he’s there to do and say things that get you to tune in to the broadcast. Shaq — as he showed Thursday — will do that.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 0
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 28
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 58
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 14
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13
- Mavericks suspend Rajon Rondo one game after argument with coach Rick Carlisle 43