Jul 15, 2011, 9:20 AM EDT
Bryan Colangelo has been calling the shots in Toronto and, well, that hasn’t gone as well as he planned. Now there is pressure on to win. Soon.
As part of that President and GM Colangelo is looking to bring in a GM to be part of the Raptors front office, and he has several candidates in mind, according to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo.
Former New Orleans Hornets GM Jeff Bower, Philadelphia 76ers GM Ed Stefanski and San Antonio assistant GM Dennis Lindsey are three focuses of the franchise to work under Toronto president Bryan Colangelo, sources said.
No formal interviews have been conducted, sources said, but Colangelo has started the process of getting permission from teams to talk to candidates. It may not be until August that Colangelo starts formal interviews for the job.
That may seem slow, but during the lockout there is no rush. Plus, there is a potential ownership change looming as Maple Leaf Sports Entertainment reportedly shops the team (although they do not appear close to a deal).
The real question is how Colangelo and any GM would work together — Bower, Stefanski and Lindsey are respected basketball people who would demand a certain amount of autonomy. While Colangelo would expectedly keep the ultimate power to approve or shoot down moves, but how much authority and influence would a new GM have?
Lots of questions, but in Toronto they need to figure out a way to change the culture of the franchise and bring in more wins. The right GM could help do that.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 37
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 33
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18