Jul 15, 2011, 9:20 AM EDT
Bryan Colangelo has been calling the shots in Toronto and, well, that hasn’t gone as well as he planned. Now there is pressure on to win. Soon.
As part of that President and GM Colangelo is looking to bring in a GM to be part of the Raptors front office, and he has several candidates in mind, according to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo.
Former New Orleans Hornets GM Jeff Bower, Philadelphia 76ers GM Ed Stefanski and San Antonio assistant GM Dennis Lindsey are three focuses of the franchise to work under Toronto president Bryan Colangelo, sources said.
No formal interviews have been conducted, sources said, but Colangelo has started the process of getting permission from teams to talk to candidates. It may not be until August that Colangelo starts formal interviews for the job.
That may seem slow, but during the lockout there is no rush. Plus, there is a potential ownership change looming as Maple Leaf Sports Entertainment reportedly shops the team (although they do not appear close to a deal).
The real question is how Colangelo and any GM would work together — Bower, Stefanski and Lindsey are respected basketball people who would demand a certain amount of autonomy. While Colangelo would expectedly keep the ultimate power to approve or shoot down moves, but how much authority and influence would a new GM have?
Lots of questions, but in Toronto they need to figure out a way to change the culture of the franchise and bring in more wins. The right GM could help do that.
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 8
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 43
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 54
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 70
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 10
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 37
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 3
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 16