Jul 15, 2011, 5:13 PM EST
If you want to see NBA players on the court, you need to head to the Philippines.
There may be a lockout stateside killing even Summer League but a couple big exhibition games have gotten approval in Manilla and will feature Kobe Bryant, Chris Paul, and other NBA stars, according to the Philippines Star newspaper (via SLAM). There was a press conference announcing the event for July 23-24, two games.
In addition to Kobe and CP3, there will be Tyreke Evans, James Harden, DeAndre Jordan and Derrick Williams, the recent No. 2 pick overall of the Minnesota Timberwolves. And others may be added to the list. .
“It could be one more MVP and one more Rookie of the Year,” said (Philippines coach Chot) Reyes, hinting they might also get the nod of reigning MVP Derrick Rose of the Chicago Bulls and former ROY awardee and two-time scoring champion Kevin Durant of the Oklahoma Thunder.
Kobe will be a player coach for the NBA stars, who will face off against players from the Philippines professional league.
This is just a couple games, there are still plans for a barnstorming tour of China in the fall if the NBA lockout drags on.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Thunder don’t look like playoff team yet 0
- Report: Hornets, Nets talking possible Lance Stephenson for Joe Johnson trade 6
- Hassan Whiteside posts 14-point, 13-rebound, 12-block triple-double in Heat win over Bulls (VIDEO) 30
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 8
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 10
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 46
- Kobe Bryant will be back next season, he can’t resist the challenge 20