Jul 15, 2011, 5:13 PM EDT
If you want to see NBA players on the court, you need to head to the Philippines.
There may be a lockout stateside killing even Summer League but a couple big exhibition games have gotten approval in Manilla and will feature Kobe Bryant, Chris Paul, and other NBA stars, according to the Philippines Star newspaper (via SLAM). There was a press conference announcing the event for July 23-24, two games.
In addition to Kobe and CP3, there will be Tyreke Evans, James Harden, DeAndre Jordan and Derrick Williams, the recent No. 2 pick overall of the Minnesota Timberwolves. And others may be added to the list. .
“It could be one more MVP and one more Rookie of the Year,” said (Philippines coach Chot) Reyes, hinting they might also get the nod of reigning MVP Derrick Rose of the Chicago Bulls and former ROY awardee and two-time scoring champion Kevin Durant of the Oklahoma Thunder.
Kobe will be a player coach for the NBA stars, who will face off against players from the Philippines professional league.
This is just a couple games, there are still plans for a barnstorming tour of China in the fall if the NBA lockout drags on.
- Nets use 18-0 second-half run to secure Game 3 victory over Hawks 0
- Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle fined $25K for publicly criticizing officials after Game 3 loss to Rockets 5
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry starting to have his defining playoff moments 8
- Behind 32 points from Kawhi Leonard, Spurs rout Clippers to take 2-1 series lead 13
- The Truth (and Marcin Gortat) will set Washington free, up 3-0 on Toronto after win 7
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 17
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7
- PBT Extra: No Rajon Rondo, no Chandler Parsons, Dallas is in trouble vs. Houston 6