Jul 15, 2011, 5:13 PM EDT
If you want to see NBA players on the court, you need to head to the Philippines.
There may be a lockout stateside killing even Summer League but a couple big exhibition games have gotten approval in Manilla and will feature Kobe Bryant, Chris Paul, and other NBA stars, according to the Philippines Star newspaper (via SLAM). There was a press conference announcing the event for July 23-24, two games.
In addition to Kobe and CP3, there will be Tyreke Evans, James Harden, DeAndre Jordan and Derrick Williams, the recent No. 2 pick overall of the Minnesota Timberwolves. And others may be added to the list. .
“It could be one more MVP and one more Rookie of the Year,” said (Philippines coach Chot) Reyes, hinting they might also get the nod of reigning MVP Derrick Rose of the Chicago Bulls and former ROY awardee and two-time scoring champion Kevin Durant of the Oklahoma Thunder.
Kobe will be a player coach for the NBA stars, who will face off against players from the Philippines professional league.
This is just a couple games, there are still plans for a barnstorming tour of China in the fall if the NBA lockout drags on.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 22
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 26
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4