Jul 15, 2011, 5:13 PM EDT
If you want to see NBA players on the court, you need to head to the Philippines.
There may be a lockout stateside killing even Summer League but a couple big exhibition games have gotten approval in Manilla and will feature Kobe Bryant, Chris Paul, and other NBA stars, according to the Philippines Star newspaper (via SLAM). There was a press conference announcing the event for July 23-24, two games.
In addition to Kobe and CP3, there will be Tyreke Evans, James Harden, DeAndre Jordan and Derrick Williams, the recent No. 2 pick overall of the Minnesota Timberwolves. And others may be added to the list. .
“It could be one more MVP and one more Rookie of the Year,” said (Philippines coach Chot) Reyes, hinting they might also get the nod of reigning MVP Derrick Rose of the Chicago Bulls and former ROY awardee and two-time scoring champion Kevin Durant of the Oklahoma Thunder.
Kobe will be a player coach for the NBA stars, who will face off against players from the Philippines professional league.
This is just a couple games, there are still plans for a barnstorming tour of China in the fall if the NBA lockout drags on.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 32
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 64
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 18
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 7
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 2
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 11
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 8
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31