Jul 15, 2011, 1:45 PM EDT
Apparently they will be seeing more of Maria Sharapova in Istanbul.
Her fiancé, former Laker and Net Sasha Vujacic, has signed a deal to play for traditional Turkish League power Anadolu Efes, according to the official site of the EuroLeague. This had been rumored and is not a surprise. It’s a good get for a EuroLeague team that has had some success internationally.
The deal is for one season with a player option for a second year.
This is a smart move by Vujacic. New Jersey didn’t want him back and while the shooting guard (who shot just 40.4 percent last season for the Nets) would have landed somewhere on an NBA roster it would have been for a lot less than the MLE money he made last season. Vujacic probably is making similar money to be a star in Turkey, and he knows there will be a season.
The reason so many guys are signing in Turkey? They did not go on the Euro and have had good economic times while the rest of the continent has struggled, so their clubs tend to have more money to spend right now.
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 19
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 33
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 49
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28