Jul 15, 2011, 1:45 PM EDT
Apparently they will be seeing more of Maria Sharapova in Istanbul.
Her fiancé, former Laker and Net Sasha Vujacic, has signed a deal to play for traditional Turkish League power Anadolu Efes, according to the official site of the EuroLeague. This had been rumored and is not a surprise. It’s a good get for a EuroLeague team that has had some success internationally.
The deal is for one season with a player option for a second year.
This is a smart move by Vujacic. New Jersey didn’t want him back and while the shooting guard (who shot just 40.4 percent last season for the Nets) would have landed somewhere on an NBA roster it would have been for a lot less than the MLE money he made last season. Vujacic probably is making similar money to be a star in Turkey, and he knows there will be a season.
The reason so many guys are signing in Turkey? They did not go on the Euro and have had good economic times while the rest of the continent has struggled, so their clubs tend to have more money to spend right now.
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 7
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 2
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 10
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 50
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 30
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29