Jul 15, 2011, 1:45 PM EDT
Apparently they will be seeing more of Maria Sharapova in Istanbul.
Her fiancé, former Laker and Net Sasha Vujacic, has signed a deal to play for traditional Turkish League power Anadolu Efes, according to the official site of the EuroLeague. This had been rumored and is not a surprise. It’s a good get for a EuroLeague team that has had some success internationally.
The deal is for one season with a player option for a second year.
This is a smart move by Vujacic. New Jersey didn’t want him back and while the shooting guard (who shot just 40.4 percent last season for the Nets) would have landed somewhere on an NBA roster it would have been for a lot less than the MLE money he made last season. Vujacic probably is making similar money to be a star in Turkey, and he knows there will be a season.
The reason so many guys are signing in Turkey? They did not go on the Euro and have had good economic times while the rest of the continent has struggled, so their clubs tend to have more money to spend right now.
- LeBron James gets another triple-double, now favorite for Finals MVP 6
- A ‘devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize in time for Game 7 16
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 7
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 13
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 100
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (101)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Pats' Hernandez questioned in murder case
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'