Jul 15, 2011, 1:45 PM EDT
Apparently they will be seeing more of Maria Sharapova in Istanbul.
Her fiancé, former Laker and Net Sasha Vujacic, has signed a deal to play for traditional Turkish League power Anadolu Efes, according to the official site of the EuroLeague. This had been rumored and is not a surprise. It’s a good get for a EuroLeague team that has had some success internationally.
The deal is for one season with a player option for a second year.
This is a smart move by Vujacic. New Jersey didn’t want him back and while the shooting guard (who shot just 40.4 percent last season for the Nets) would have landed somewhere on an NBA roster it would have been for a lot less than the MLE money he made last season. Vujacic probably is making similar money to be a star in Turkey, and he knows there will be a season.
The reason so many guys are signing in Turkey? They did not go on the Euro and have had good economic times while the rest of the continent has struggled, so their clubs tend to have more money to spend right now.
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 0
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 12
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 15
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 25
- LeBron James-Paul George matchup reaches awesome levels in Game 2 10
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins third straight pole in Monaco
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy