Jul 15, 2011, 1:45 PM EDT
Apparently they will be seeing more of Maria Sharapova in Istanbul.
Her fiancé, former Laker and Net Sasha Vujacic, has signed a deal to play for traditional Turkish League power Anadolu Efes, according to the official site of the EuroLeague. This had been rumored and is not a surprise. It’s a good get for a EuroLeague team that has had some success internationally.
The deal is for one season with a player option for a second year.
This is a smart move by Vujacic. New Jersey didn’t want him back and while the shooting guard (who shot just 40.4 percent last season for the Nets) would have landed somewhere on an NBA roster it would have been for a lot less than the MLE money he made last season. Vujacic probably is making similar money to be a star in Turkey, and he knows there will be a season.
The reason so many guys are signing in Turkey? They did not go on the Euro and have had good economic times while the rest of the continent has struggled, so their clubs tend to have more money to spend right now.
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 8
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 43
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 54
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 70
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 10
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 37
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 3
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 16