Jul 15, 2011, 11:26 AM EDT
The front line of the Spanish national team already had the Gasol brothers, and it just got better.
Serge Ibaka — the Oklahoma City Thunder forward who was born in the Congo but played in Spain — has been granted Spanish citizenship and will play for the country in EuroBasket this summer, the event where spots in the 2012 Olympics will be decided.
The Associated Press says Ibaka “must swear loyalty to the Spanish crown and constitution to finalize the process.”
EuroBasket takes place in Lithuania and will begin on Aug. 31.
FIBA has launched its Olympics basketball Web site, where you can follow news leading up to the games. As you can at NBC’s Olympics web site.
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 4
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 23
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 29
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 34
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11
- Report: Cavaliers trade Brendan Haywood, Mike Miller, two second-round picks to Portland 17