Jul 15, 2011, 11:26 AM EDT
The front line of the Spanish national team already had the Gasol brothers, and it just got better.
Serge Ibaka — the Oklahoma City Thunder forward who was born in the Congo but played in Spain — has been granted Spanish citizenship and will play for the country in EuroBasket this summer, the event where spots in the 2012 Olympics will be decided.
The Associated Press says Ibaka “must swear loyalty to the Spanish crown and constitution to finalize the process.”
EuroBasket takes place in Lithuania and will begin on Aug. 31.
FIBA has launched its Olympics basketball Web site, where you can follow news leading up to the games. As you can at NBC’s Olympics web site.
- PBT Extra: Will anyone step up and be third scorer for Cavaliers in Game 2? 0
- Doc Rivers on whether Chris Paul plays in Game 2 vs. Rockets: ‘Right now, I just don’t think so’ 0
- Tony ‘First Team All-Defense’ Allen and Mike ‘Masked Assassin’ Conley lead Grizzlies to Game 2 win over Warriors 16
- Hawks unimpressive, but pull away late for Game 2 win over Wizards 6
- Mike Conley playing Game 2 against Warriors tonight 0
- John Wall out for Wizards-Hawks Game 2 tonight 3
- PBT Extra: Will Doc Rivers sit Chris Paul in Game 2? 0
- Tony Allen on MVP Stephen Curry: “It ain’t nothing I ain’t never seen before” 23