Jul 15, 2011, 11:26 AM EDT
The front line of the Spanish national team already had the Gasol brothers, and it just got better.
Serge Ibaka — the Oklahoma City Thunder forward who was born in the Congo but played in Spain — has been granted Spanish citizenship and will play for the country in EuroBasket this summer, the event where spots in the 2012 Olympics will be decided.
The Associated Press says Ibaka “must swear loyalty to the Spanish crown and constitution to finalize the process.”
EuroBasket takes place in Lithuania and will begin on Aug. 31.
FIBA has launched its Olympics basketball Web site, where you can follow news leading up to the games. As you can at NBC’s Olympics web site.
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 27
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 7
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 18