Jul 15, 2011, 11:26 AM EST
The front line of the Spanish national team already had the Gasol brothers, and it just got better.
Serge Ibaka — the Oklahoma City Thunder forward who was born in the Congo but played in Spain — has been granted Spanish citizenship and will play for the country in EuroBasket this summer, the event where spots in the 2012 Olympics will be decided.
The Associated Press says Ibaka “must swear loyalty to the Spanish crown and constitution to finalize the process.”
EuroBasket takes place in Lithuania and will begin on Aug. 31.
FIBA has launched its Olympics basketball Web site, where you can follow news leading up to the games. As you can at NBC’s Olympics web site.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 0
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 19
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 8
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 5
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 36
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 18