Jul 15, 2011, 11:26 AM EST
The front line of the Spanish national team already had the Gasol brothers, and it just got better.
Serge Ibaka — the Oklahoma City Thunder forward who was born in the Congo but played in Spain — has been granted Spanish citizenship and will play for the country in EuroBasket this summer, the event where spots in the 2012 Olympics will be decided.
The Associated Press says Ibaka “must swear loyalty to the Spanish crown and constitution to finalize the process.”
EuroBasket takes place in Lithuania and will begin on Aug. 31.
FIBA has launched its Olympics basketball Web site, where you can follow news leading up to the games. As you can at NBC’s Olympics web site.
- Report: Mavericks trading for Rajon Rondo could happen ‘sooner rather than later’ 5
- Carmelo Anthony introduces his latest signature shoe, the Jordan Melo M11 6
- Report: Rondo “open” to re-signing in Dallas, Houston if traded there 17
- PBT’s Wednesday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You will not question if Memphis is legit again 17
- Grizzlies top Spurs in triple overtime. Best game of the season. So far. 4
- Report: Mavericks and Celtics in ‘substantive discussion’ about Rajon Rondo trade 23
- Report: Celtics now more willing to trade Rajon Rondo 13
- Tyson Chandler says he feels sorry for Carmelo Anthony 19