Jul 15, 2011, 8:45 AM EDT
The Lakers looked old and tired, getting swept by a Mavericks team that was actually older but showed more passion. Dallas was committed to executing their game plan in a way the Lakers no longer were.
The Lakers need to rekindle that fire, they are counting on Mike Brown to do just that. But it will take some personnel tweaks as well.
Former Laker Robert Horry was at the ESPYs, and asked by Mark Medina of the Los Angeles Times what had to change he didn’t hesitate — point guard.
“I think they need another good point guard. No disrespect to Derek Fisher. Derek is alone. I’ve been there, done that. They need a point guard who can distribute the ball, get everyone in order and not be afraid to tell Kobe no,” Horry said. “You can’t outrun age. I think age has caught up to him. There’s some things he can do, but there are some things he can’t do.”
Also on the red carpet, Lisa Leslie (who did local television post Lakers playoff game broadcasts in Los Angeles) said the same thing, that point guard is the spot the Lakers need an upgrade.
This is particularly true with whatever offensive system Brown and his team of assistants bring in — it is not going to hide the point guard like the triangle. The Lakers are going to need an upgrade, but getting one with their payroll under whatever the new economic system is will be a challenge. To say the least.
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 19
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 32
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 49
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28