Jul 15, 2011, 8:45 AM EST
The Lakers looked old and tired, getting swept by a Mavericks team that was actually older but showed more passion. Dallas was committed to executing their game plan in a way the Lakers no longer were.
The Lakers need to rekindle that fire, they are counting on Mike Brown to do just that. But it will take some personnel tweaks as well.
Former Laker Robert Horry was at the ESPYs, and asked by Mark Medina of the Los Angeles Times what had to change he didn’t hesitate — point guard.
“I think they need another good point guard. No disrespect to Derek Fisher. Derek is alone. I’ve been there, done that. They need a point guard who can distribute the ball, get everyone in order and not be afraid to tell Kobe no,” Horry said. “You can’t outrun age. I think age has caught up to him. There’s some things he can do, but there are some things he can’t do.”
Also on the red carpet, Lisa Leslie (who did local television post Lakers playoff game broadcasts in Los Angeles) said the same thing, that point guard is the spot the Lakers need an upgrade.
This is particularly true with whatever offensive system Brown and his team of assistants bring in — it is not going to hide the point guard like the triangle. The Lakers are going to need an upgrade, but getting one with their payroll under whatever the new economic system is will be a challenge. To say the least.
- Wednesday night NBA Grades: LaMarcus Aldridge is a flat out stud 0
- Arena evacuated after apparent fire, Spurs-Timberwolves game in Mexico City postponed 12
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 11
- PBT Extra: Focusing on “epic showdown” between Knicks, Nets 5
- Carmelo Anthony: “We are the laughingstock of the league right now” 25
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (63)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)