Jul 15, 2011, 8:45 AM EDT
The Lakers looked old and tired, getting swept by a Mavericks team that was actually older but showed more passion. Dallas was committed to executing their game plan in a way the Lakers no longer were.
The Lakers need to rekindle that fire, they are counting on Mike Brown to do just that. But it will take some personnel tweaks as well.
Former Laker Robert Horry was at the ESPYs, and asked by Mark Medina of the Los Angeles Times what had to change he didn’t hesitate — point guard.
“I think they need another good point guard. No disrespect to Derek Fisher. Derek is alone. I’ve been there, done that. They need a point guard who can distribute the ball, get everyone in order and not be afraid to tell Kobe no,” Horry said. “You can’t outrun age. I think age has caught up to him. There’s some things he can do, but there are some things he can’t do.”
Also on the red carpet, Lisa Leslie (who did local television post Lakers playoff game broadcasts in Los Angeles) said the same thing, that point guard is the spot the Lakers need an upgrade.
This is particularly true with whatever offensive system Brown and his team of assistants bring in — it is not going to hide the point guard like the triangle. The Lakers are going to need an upgrade, but getting one with their payroll under whatever the new economic system is will be a challenge. To say the least.
- Portland comes from 10 down in fourth quarter to win 99-92, stay alive in series 0
- Bucks stay alive behind big backcourt performance to force Game 6 vs. Bulls 10
- Incredible 35-point performance from Deron Williams leads Nets to overtime Game 4 win over Hawks 9
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Wizard’s defense peaking at right time 2
- Report: Chandler Parsons to have knee surgery, could require microfracture surgery 6
- Cavaliers’ J.R. Smith gets two-game suspension for shot to Jae Crowder’s head 38
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Draymond Green helped hold Anthony Davis in relative check 6
- Cavaliers’ Kevin Love out for entire conference semifinals (likely vs. Bulls) 15