Jul 14, 2011, 3:26 PM EST
Minnesota is finally getting around to letting go of the coach who was 100 games below .500 in two seasons, and finding a new one.
Sources say Wolves plan to talk to both Nelson and Adelman to gauge their interest in replacing Rambis. Kahn, remember, wants up-tempo coach
Adelman would do a good job, and he reportedly has a good relationship with Kevin Love (which is more than we can say for outgoing coach Kurt Rambis). However, the thoughts around the league is that Adelman is better suited for and only wants to coach veteran teams, while Minnesota is young and very green.
We told you Nelson was interested. Nelson is a stylistic fit, especially with Ricky Rubio and Derrick Williams coming in next season. But his last season in Golden State — when he was acting like your crazy uncle, benching players that deserved more time and generally running the ship into the rocks — has to scare any team considering giving him a job. Or it should.
There also are people around the Wolves who say not to rule out Bernie Bickerstaff, particularly if his son J.B. — who was an assistant in Minnesota last season but is slated to join Kevin McHale in Houston — can be convinced to stay. That, however, seems a real long shot.
Then again, predicting what the Timberwolves will do next is a fool’s errand.
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 1
- PBT Extra: Focusing on “epic showdown” between Knicks, Nets 3
- Carmelo Anthony: “We are the laughingstock of the league right now” 14
- Joe Johnson says players noticed friction between Jason Kidd and Lawrence Frank 23
- ‘Melo says Knicks players “worried” Woodson could lose job if losing continues 12
- Kobe Bryant takes to Twitter to defend his contract extension (100)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (53)
- John Wall: ‘I’m the best point guard in the league’ (45)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (39)