Jul 14, 2011, 8:45 AM EST
No real shock with the names, but it sounds like the Detroit Pistons are getting closer to making a decision on a new head coach.
Marc Stein has the report over at ESPN.
Of the five known candidates for job, sources say that former Pistons assistant Mike Woodson is still the closest thing to a favorite, thanks largely to Woodson’s good working relationship with Pistons president of basketball operations Joe Dumars and the fact that Detroit would know exactly what it’s getting after Woodson’s work under Larry Brown during the Pistons’ 2004 title run.
Yet sources say that one reason Detroit’s search has dragged out so long is the strong impression that Lawrence Frank made on new Pistons owner Tom Gores and his advisers, among them former New York Knicks executive Dave Checketts.
Whoever wins will replace John Kuester, who has since been hired by his old boss Mike Brown to be an assistant with the Lakers.
Woodson also comes with a track record of rebuilding — he was the coach in Atlanta, taking over when the team was terrible and it won more games every year under him (up to 53 the last year). He got them to the second round of the playoffs. Frank was the former headman in New Jersey as well as being on the Celtics staff currently.
We’ll see where this ends up, but it’s not uncommon for new owners to do something to put their stamp on a franchise.
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 0
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 5
- Derrick Rose starts rehab, in “good spirits” after knee surgery 11
- Russell Westbrook undergoes procedure to address cheek fracture, will be re-evaluated next week 6
- Russell Westbrook takes knee to face, it leaves dent (VIDEO) 15
- Former All-Star, popular Knick Anthony Mason dies at age 48 16
- Russell Westbrook posts third straight triple-double, Thunder lose anyway 8
- Shane Battier on Carmelo Anthony: ‘Last two years I guarded him, he did exactly what the scouting report said he would’ 16