Jul 14, 2011, 8:45 AM EST
No real shock with the names, but it sounds like the Detroit Pistons are getting closer to making a decision on a new head coach.
Marc Stein has the report over at ESPN.
Of the five known candidates for job, sources say that former Pistons assistant Mike Woodson is still the closest thing to a favorite, thanks largely to Woodson’s good working relationship with Pistons president of basketball operations Joe Dumars and the fact that Detroit would know exactly what it’s getting after Woodson’s work under Larry Brown during the Pistons’ 2004 title run.
Yet sources say that one reason Detroit’s search has dragged out so long is the strong impression that Lawrence Frank made on new Pistons owner Tom Gores and his advisers, among them former New York Knicks executive Dave Checketts.
Whoever wins will replace John Kuester, who has since been hired by his old boss Mike Brown to be an assistant with the Lakers.
Woodson also comes with a track record of rebuilding — he was the coach in Atlanta, taking over when the team was terrible and it won more games every year under him (up to 53 the last year). He got them to the second round of the playoffs. Frank was the former headman in New Jersey as well as being on the Celtics staff currently.
We’ll see where this ends up, but it’s not uncommon for new owners to do something to put their stamp on a franchise.
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 9
- Report: Knicks have ‘zero intention’ of trading Carmelo Anthony 7
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 1
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 20
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 15
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (39)