Jul 14, 2011, 1:40 PM EST
The NBA league office apparently has nothing better to do during the lockout than monitoring team officials to make sure they don’t even have causal contact with players. Say just one wrong word and you can get threatened with a $1 million fine.
So what was the deal with Mavs owner Mark Cuban standing with a bunch of the Dallas players on the stage at the ESPYs Wednesday night, as the Mavericks won some sort of other award because they won the NBA championship (sorry, don’t really get the point of the ESPYs).
Is Cuban getting a $1 million fine? Nope, the league cleared it in advance, according to Tom Ziller at SB Nation.
As they should have. As we said when talking Michael Jordan and golf earlier today, these kinds of things are no big deal. It’s not like Cuban and J.J. Barea were at the open bar backstage and Cuban cornered him and started preaching hard cap. (Barea might be the one guy Cuban could corner, although Barea is quick and slippery. Just ask the Lakers defenders.)
Just another reason this whole lockout is silly. The entire NBA should be in Las Vegas this week getting drunk at the circle bar at the Hard Rock Hotel during Summer League (and watching Kyrie Irving), not worrying about David Stern’s fines.
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 19
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 16
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 29
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 61
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 14
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13