Jul 13, 2011, 4:11 PM EDT
Since we’re not out sweltering in Vegas this week at the cancelled-and-missed Summer League — it was only 100 degrees there today — we’re monitoring all the fun leagues going on around the nation for some action.
Like the North Carolina Pro-Am. That’s where John Wall is playing. Wall is coming off a good rookie season (16.4 points, 8.3 assists per game), but maybe not one as dramatic as people expected (shot just 40 percent and turned the ball over too much). To those people we say wait — there was not much talent around him and it usually takes point guards a season or two to really find their footing in the NBA.
Don’t ever forget that Wall has skills. Former North Carolina State guard Julius Hodge (who spent two seasons mostly on NBA benches) was at the Pro-Am too, and decided to make it his mission to shut down Wall. And the video below shows why we expect Wall to make some big leaps in the coming seasons — the man is a wizard with the ball in transition and in isolation. The little step-back jumper looks better, too.
- Game 6 was not Gregg Popovich’s best night 17
- LeBron James gets another triple-double, now favorite for Finals MVP 12
- ‘Devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize for Game 7 31
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 13
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 20
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (104)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead