Rose “damn confident” about Bulls chances next season

Jul 13, 2011, 1:05 PM EDT

Miami Heat v Chicago Bulls - Game Two Getty Images

Don’t you get the feeling we’re going to be seeing variations of that Eastern Conference Finals for the next few years? Bulls vs. Heat. Miami won and they should get better role players and more comfortable with each other in the future — they will be better.

Derrick Rose knows that, but he likes the Bulls chances.

While the Bulls are considering moves of their own, Rose told our man Aggrey Sam of CSN Chicago he thinks the team they have can do it.

“I’m damn confident,” Rose asserted. “Knowing that my teammates are getting better, I’m getting better and we’ve just got to go out there and ball out.

“We [Rose and the Bulls' front office] talked a little bit, but nothing serious. It was too early,” he continued. “We’re good right now. I’m not worried about getting another player right now. If that’s the case, they would have asked me or told me something about it, but I haven’t heard anything yet, so I’m good.”

As he had done before, Rose talked about what he can do for the Bulls to get better. He thinks he wore down as the playoffs went on (having LeBron James cover him in the ECF didn’t help) and he is working now to make sure that doesn’t happen again.

“I think my conditioning was a big part in me playing the way I played towards the end, where I think I didn’t have enough in the tank and that’s sad to say, knowing how far we made it and how close we were. That was the reason why. Stuff like that, I never want to go through that again.

“If anything, I know that I’ll be prepared for it. Or try to be prepared for it. Like I said, working hard and trying to be positive,” Rose continued. “Of course, if our defense was a little better, but I wouldn’t have changed anything for myself besides my conditioning.”

With that kind of attitude, do you doubt the Bulls will be back?

1. trueballs - Jul 13, 2011 at 1:35 PM

Derrick. Your conditioning is fine! No other stars play as hard and as reckless as you in ALL 4 quarters! Get another scorer and you’ll have some gas left in the 4th quarter.

2. boondocksaint224 - Jul 13, 2011 at 2:02 PM

As a Bulls fan, I’m clearly and admittedly biased on this one, but even if he wasn’t a Bull, I would still love Derrick Rose. How could you not? He plays his ass off every game, has a never say die attitude, and never points the finger at anyone but himself when things don’t go his way. It’s very easy to see why he’s becoming one of the more popular players leaguewide.

3. willcoop - Jul 13, 2011 at 2:40 PM

This kid gets it, hard work breeds for success. Is Carlos reading any of this? Get yourself in shape like the last season on the Jazz and work on your defense………please!

4. virusgvr - Jul 13, 2011 at 5:00 PM

If…. And only if there is a next season. I don’t think this lockout is going to get settled by October. So he must be referring to the 2012-2013 season.

5. passerby23 - Jul 13, 2011 at 9:49 PM

I like Rose’s attitude and sense of responsibility, but it was obvious to anyone watching how much they desperately needed a scorer to help him out. It’s a game of inches (or bounces). Even a marginally productive scorer who can create a shot for himself would’ve probably been enough to win that series.

6. urodaddy07 - Jul 13, 2011 at 11:27 PM

I love this kid. Great work ethic. But he’s dead wrong, there is nothing wrong with his conditioning. If you are playing hard for 40+ minutes in an NBA game you are gonna burn out in the 4th. They need another score, Boozer was supposed to be it but he seems afraid of contact, fades when he should explode to rim, doesn’t play defense and just pots small most of the time. Don’t know if that’s down to missed games or something more permanent. I dontbthink they’ll make it back to the finals with this same lineup.

7. asublimeday - Jul 14, 2011 at 1:49 AM

What a class act. Exactly the reason we hate douchebags like bron-bron: we know players can be better than that. Keep doing your thing, d rose. You’re everything that’s right about sports

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches