Rajon Rondo’s elbow still not right after dislocation

Jul 13, 2011, 8:59 PM EDT

Miami Heat's Wade and Boston Celtics Rondo tangle in second half of Game 3 of their NBA Eastern Conference playoff series in Boston AP

It was the most gruesome sight of the playoffs (unless you’re a Lakers fan, then it was Game 4 against Dallas) — Rajon Rondo falling in the series against Miami and his elbow bending the wrong way. An entire nation winced at the replay.

Months later, hanging out at his youth camp in his native Louisville, Rondo told ESPNBoston his elbow still isn’t right.

“It’s the most pain I’ve ever been in playing ball. I’m feeling a little pain now, but the swelling is down. The only thing is there’s swelling in my joint. I’ll be fine, it just takes time. I’ve got a couple more weeks that I’m off, as far as rest and the repetition of weights.”

He will be back and ready to go whenever the season starts. And he thinks the Celtics have one more run in them.

“I’m not concerned about the Big Three. There’s a lot of things that people don’t see, behind the scenes. They take care of their bodies. They are in the gym early, in the gym late… We still have a chance to get another ring.”

1. 1historian - Jul 13, 2011 at 9:16 PM

If the season is shortened to 50 games or so the Celts will have a chance. If it goes the entire 82 game season before the playoffs start they’ll be toast – they are just too old.

IMO the longer the lockout goes – and from all accounts it’s going to be a long one – the better their chances.

• edweird0 - Jul 13, 2011 at 9:41 PM

Ha I never thought of it that way but it makes alotta sense. One would imagine that they’re rooting for a shortened season…

2. jimeejohnson - Jul 13, 2011 at 9:30 PM

The Celtics will not have a chance without a top level true center.

• trueballs - Jul 14, 2011 at 11:23 AM

was Perkins a top level center in 2008? Nope.

3. virusgvr - Jul 14, 2011 at 7:30 AM

Thanks NBC Sports Talk. I was almost able to forget about this, and move on with my life, but no…

4. rukhshiixoxo89 - Jul 14, 2011 at 12:28 PM

Rondo is a champ, he will be back and win the MVP

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches