Jul 13, 2011, 10:02 AM EDT
Kevin Love and finally fired Timberwolves coach Kurt Rambis did not have a great relationship. It was one of the reasons Rambis was let go (that and all the losing).
But the way Rambis was fired, left to twist in the wind for three months after the season, was just an embarrassment. It was bad enough that even Love sounded sympathetic to him in an interview with CBSSports.com’s Eye on Basketball.
“(Rambis) was put in limbo for a while by our front office. They took their time and weighted all their options. Kurt’s going to find another opportunity. He’s going to get another job soon.”
As for what’s next, nobody knows. At the press conference announcing Rambis being let go, Wolves GM David Kahn talked about wanting to have a relentless fast breaking team. That despite the fact the Wolves played at the fastest pace in the league last season — nearly a possession a game faster than the Knicks. They ran, but they ran their way to 17 wins because of the roster.
Now they will run with Ricky Rubio at the point and a new coach. Love had hopes for a good relationship with whomever gets brought in to take the big seat.
“You always hope for the best. I want to have a great relationship with whoever coaches the Timberwolves or whoever coaches me throughout my career….
“As far as us having a young team,” Love said, “we’re going to need, I won’t say a disciplinarian, but a guy who can teach us how to win and has been there and done that.”
It will be interesting to see who the Wolves get. They are one of only 30 NBA teams, there are a lot of well-qualified people who want a head coaching job there. But some of the best, guys who believe they will have other options, may be hesitant to come to Minnesota after how Rambis was treated at the end of his tenure. Plus, in taking their time, a number of good coaches have already come off the market. But with the lockout, there is no real reason to rush the decision.
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 24
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 27
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11
- Report: Cavaliers trade Brendan Haywood, Mike Miller, two second-round picks to Portland 17
- Blake Griffin, Stephen Curry among latest big names headed to Team USA mini-camp 8
- Kyrie Irving off crutches, cleared by doctors to start working out 8