Jul 13, 2011, 10:02 AM EDT
Kevin Love and finally fired Timberwolves coach Kurt Rambis did not have a great relationship. It was one of the reasons Rambis was let go (that and all the losing).
But the way Rambis was fired, left to twist in the wind for three months after the season, was just an embarrassment. It was bad enough that even Love sounded sympathetic to him in an interview with CBSSports.com’s Eye on Basketball.
“(Rambis) was put in limbo for a while by our front office. They took their time and weighted all their options. Kurt’s going to find another opportunity. He’s going to get another job soon.”
As for what’s next, nobody knows. At the press conference announcing Rambis being let go, Wolves GM David Kahn talked about wanting to have a relentless fast breaking team. That despite the fact the Wolves played at the fastest pace in the league last season — nearly a possession a game faster than the Knicks. They ran, but they ran their way to 17 wins because of the roster.
Now they will run with Ricky Rubio at the point and a new coach. Love had hopes for a good relationship with whomever gets brought in to take the big seat.
“You always hope for the best. I want to have a great relationship with whoever coaches the Timberwolves or whoever coaches me throughout my career….
“As far as us having a young team,” Love said, “we’re going to need, I won’t say a disciplinarian, but a guy who can teach us how to win and has been there and done that.”
It will be interesting to see who the Wolves get. They are one of only 30 NBA teams, there are a lot of well-qualified people who want a head coaching job there. But some of the best, guys who believe they will have other options, may be hesitant to come to Minnesota after how Rambis was treated at the end of his tenure. Plus, in taking their time, a number of good coaches have already come off the market. But with the lockout, there is no real reason to rush the decision.
- Rockets show it’s better to have James Harden than to not have Stephen Curry 0
- Stephen Curry leaves game after taking a hard fall, cleared to return (VIDEO) 6
- Rumor: Paul Pierce might opt out of contract with Wizards, join Clippers 15
- Golden State Warriors vs. Houston Rockets Game 4: Three things to watch from Houston 7
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 29
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 31
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 9