Jul 13, 2011, 10:27 AM EDT
Right now we should be up to our necks in free agent signings, rumors of signings and the fun that can be player movement in the off-season. Instead we’re talking if Nate Robinson can play NFL cornerback. Which is about as likely as the Celtics landing Dwight Howard.
Point guard Aaron Brooks would be one of those free agents. Although he expects to stay put in Phoenix, he told Hoopsworld.
“All signs point to me going back to Phoenix,” Brooks said. “I had a good time. I like the organization and it’s a great city. I would love to continue playing in Phoenix. I would love stay with this team. This summer, I’m going to get more comfortable with the guys. I want to get to know everyone a little bit better and then hopefully we have a better season than we did last year.”
At first, Brooks had trouble adjusting to the midseason change of scenery, but he began fitting in toward the end of the season.
“All of the guys there are cool, but it was awkward for me because I’ve never been in that position,” Brooks said. “I’ve never switched teams in the middle of the season, but they did a good job of making me feel comfortable while I was there. It was just different being thrown into a situation like that.”
In Phoenix, Brooks can be the backup for Steve Nash until he is traded or retires. (My guess is they get serious about moving him in the next year, although the lockout clouds when.) He needs to get healthy, if that happens he could return to being the explosive, quick guard who would work well in the Suns system (and give Nash more time on the bench, which he could use).
But Brooks may have options. Good ones. We’ll see as soon as they get around to solving the lockout and we can talk free agency.
- Three things about Game 2: Tony Parker is that good but Randolph, Grizzlies figuring it out 0
- Spurs need overtime in Game 2 to beat Grizzlies, take a 2-0 series lead 0
- Cavaliers bask in another lottery victory 5
- For second time in three years Cavaliers win NBA draft lottery 33
- PBT Extra: Eastern Conference Finals preview time 3
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (64)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Play Video: Metta World Peace the weatherman
- Play Video: Eastern Conference finals preview
- Play Video: Heat gearing for another physical battle
- Play Video: Phil Jackson compares MJ and Kobe
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars