Jul 13, 2011, 10:27 AM EST
Right now we should be up to our necks in free agent signings, rumors of signings and the fun that can be player movement in the off-season. Instead we’re talking if Nate Robinson can play NFL cornerback. Which is about as likely as the Celtics landing Dwight Howard.
Point guard Aaron Brooks would be one of those free agents. Although he expects to stay put in Phoenix, he told Hoopsworld.
“All signs point to me going back to Phoenix,” Brooks said. “I had a good time. I like the organization and it’s a great city. I would love to continue playing in Phoenix. I would love stay with this team. This summer, I’m going to get more comfortable with the guys. I want to get to know everyone a little bit better and then hopefully we have a better season than we did last year.”
At first, Brooks had trouble adjusting to the midseason change of scenery, but he began fitting in toward the end of the season.
“All of the guys there are cool, but it was awkward for me because I’ve never been in that position,” Brooks said. “I’ve never switched teams in the middle of the season, but they did a good job of making me feel comfortable while I was there. It was just different being thrown into a situation like that.”
In Phoenix, Brooks can be the backup for Steve Nash until he is traded or retires. (My guess is they get serious about moving him in the next year, although the lockout clouds when.) He needs to get healthy, if that happens he could return to being the explosive, quick guard who would work well in the Suns system (and give Nash more time on the bench, which he could use).
But Brooks may have options. Good ones. We’ll see as soon as they get around to solving the lockout and we can talk free agency.
- NBA denies Kings’ protest 2
- Russell Westbrook returns to court tonight for Thunder vs. Knicks 8
- Kobe Bryant says Gary Payton, Kevin Garnett among best trash talkers he’s faced 10
- PBT’s Wednesday NBA Winners/Losers: Ettore Messina making history for Spurs 1
- LeBron James, Cavaliers have kind of game they need to replicate blowing out Wizards 5
- Gregg Popovich to miss game following ‘minor medical procedure’ 8
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis’s MVP-level play, the Spurs and things to be thankful for 8
- Report: Knicks worried Carmelo Anthony’s back issue may be season-long concern 9