Jul 13, 2011, 1:42 PM EST
Dwyane Wade loves basketball. He just can’t watch it right now.
He still feels the sting of the Miami heat’s loss in the NBA finals a month ago, he told Ira Winderman of the Sun-Sentinel.
“I haven’t watched ESPN in a long time,” Wade said Wednesday morning, amid his youth basketball camp at Nova Southeastern University. “Sorry ESPN. I love the network and all. It’s still hard to watch basketball. I’m used to basketball coming on any time, I’ll have it tuned in.”
“The sting is always going to be there when you lose,” he said. “Obviously, it was my first time ever losing the Finals. The sting is there, no question about it. I joke with the kids. I said, ‘All right, I’m going to make jokes about it. You guys are not going to ask me the question.’ Because the first thing, when they ask questions, they want to know stuff. I make sure I shed some light on it in a sense-of-humor type of way, but the sting is there.
“But you’ve got to move on. As I said, at the end of the year, we learn from it, but life continues to go and we’ll have a lot more basketball left in our lives to play and we’ll get another crack at it.”
The Heat have steps to make — to start with they need better depth to go around the Wade, LeBron James and Chris Bosh. More than that, it’s about tighter defense, better offensive execution under pressure, playing like a team and not reverting to hero ball. The lessons are there. We’ll see if the Heat learn them.
- What rust? Russell Westbrook returns, puts up 32 points in 24 minutes (VIDEO) 2
- NBA denies Kings’ protest 3
- Russell Westbrook returns to court tonight for Thunder vs. Knicks 9
- Kobe Bryant says Gary Payton, Kevin Garnett among best trash talkers he’s faced 11
- PBT’s Wednesday NBA Winners/Losers: Ettore Messina making history for Spurs 1
- LeBron James, Cavaliers have kind of game they need to replicate blowing out Wizards 5
- Gregg Popovich to miss game following ‘minor medical procedure’ 8
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis’s MVP-level play, the Spurs and things to be thankful for 8