Jul 13, 2011, 5:05 PM EDT
This is a hypothetical exercise, Dwight Howard is not going to play overseas. He may say he is open to it but there is only in infinitesimal chance Dwight Howard would actually lace up the Adidas. The fact is he is on the verge of a huge new contract — the max under whatever the new labor deal allows — and he is not going to risk that by risking injury overseas. He’s not going.
MARCA: If you play overseas, I have the hunch that you would choose China rather than Europe.
Dwight Howard: Yes, I think China has more options. I’ve thought about it, but not in depth. The issue is the potential of injury.
Why China? It’s about the money. It’s always about the money.
Dwight Howard is one of maybe half a dozen true international NBA stars, the icons people know in other countries. China is the biggest market in the world, and right now Kobe owns it (he has his own Chinese Web site, his on charity foundation for China, and remember how LeBron marveled at the media crush on Kobe at the Beijing Olympics).
Everyone wants a piece of that market. Dwight Howard wants a piece of that market. That’s why China. Cue Mars Blackmon — It’s got to be the shoes. And selling the shoes in China, the most populous nation on the planet, the largest potential shoe market on the planet.
Really, he should just hook up with Kobe’s barnstorming tour.
- PBT Extra: Did Chicago make the right move in firing Thibodeau? 20
- Bulls front office on Tom Thibodeau firing: “We probably wouldn’t be sitting here if we won a championship” 11
- Bulls fire Tom Thibodeau 62
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 67
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 23
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 42
- Dwight Howard hit with suspension-triggering technical foul 7
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 8