Jul 13, 2011, 5:05 PM EDT
This is a hypothetical exercise, Dwight Howard is not going to play overseas. He may say he is open to it but there is only in infinitesimal chance Dwight Howard would actually lace up the Adidas. The fact is he is on the verge of a huge new contract — the max under whatever the new labor deal allows — and he is not going to risk that by risking injury overseas. He’s not going.
MARCA: If you play overseas, I have the hunch that you would choose China rather than Europe.
Dwight Howard: Yes, I think China has more options. I’ve thought about it, but not in depth. The issue is the potential of injury.
Why China? It’s about the money. It’s always about the money.
Dwight Howard is one of maybe half a dozen true international NBA stars, the icons people know in other countries. China is the biggest market in the world, and right now Kobe owns it (he has his own Chinese Web site, his on charity foundation for China, and remember how LeBron marveled at the media crush on Kobe at the Beijing Olympics).
Everyone wants a piece of that market. Dwight Howard wants a piece of that market. That’s why China. Cue Mars Blackmon — It’s got to be the shoes. And selling the shoes in China, the most populous nation on the planet, the largest potential shoe market on the planet.
Really, he should just hook up with Kobe’s barnstorming tour.
- Preview: Did Grizzlies figure out Spurs or will Game 3 be more of the same? 0
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 31
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 22
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 17
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 28
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?