Jul 13, 2011, 5:53 PM EDT
Talk with any hoop player who has worked outside the very highest levels of European basketball and they can tell you horror stories about trying to get paid. Check out what former Cavalier Lance Allred told Sports Illustrated today, about the $160,000 he never got from an Italian team. Stories like that are common.
Hoopshype has the details on how they have missed payments to players for years in a row. The site also talked to Turkish players about the franchise.
“Besiktas is the most f—— up team when it comes to this thing,” a Turkish player that requested anonymity told HoopsHype. “They are supposed to be one of the best teams in Turkey and the last few years even though they had the best players, they didn’t win because the players were mentally messed up (for not getting paid).”
“Deron is going to get all his money, no doubt about it. He’s going to get a great apartment, a luxury car with a driver and security officers,” the Turkish player said. “He’s going to come to practice all happy and the rest of the guys are going to be late on their payments three or four months. It’s going to be the same story all over again.”
Turkish teams seem to be a little more flush with cash right now as the economy in Turkey is doing well compared to the rest of Europe. That leaves owners and sponsors with more cash. Getting them to actually pay up can be the challenge.
As of right now, Besiktas basketball does not have a sponsor for next season. Well, they have a special sponsor for Williams, However the rest of the team may feel the pinch
But sure, NBA players are going to be flocking to Europe.
- Kobe Bryant says elite players like LeBron, himself are underpaid. He’s right. 28
- It’s done: Kevin Love traded to Cavaliers, Andrew Wiggins headed to Minnesota in three-team deal 47
- Steve Nash called Kobe Bryant a “mother f****** a******” but in a good way 12
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 30
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 80
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16