Jul 13, 2011, 5:53 PM EST
Talk with any hoop player who has worked outside the very highest levels of European basketball and they can tell you horror stories about trying to get paid. Check out what former Cavalier Lance Allred told Sports Illustrated today, about the $160,000 he never got from an Italian team. Stories like that are common.
Hoopshype has the details on how they have missed payments to players for years in a row. The site also talked to Turkish players about the franchise.
“Besiktas is the most f—— up team when it comes to this thing,” a Turkish player that requested anonymity told HoopsHype. “They are supposed to be one of the best teams in Turkey and the last few years even though they had the best players, they didn’t win because the players were mentally messed up (for not getting paid).”
“Deron is going to get all his money, no doubt about it. He’s going to get a great apartment, a luxury car with a driver and security officers,” the Turkish player said. “He’s going to come to practice all happy and the rest of the guys are going to be late on their payments three or four months. It’s going to be the same story all over again.”
Turkish teams seem to be a little more flush with cash right now as the economy in Turkey is doing well compared to the rest of Europe. That leaves owners and sponsors with more cash. Getting them to actually pay up can be the challenge.
As of right now, Besiktas basketball does not have a sponsor for next season. Well, they have a special sponsor for Williams, However the rest of the team may feel the pinch
But sure, NBA players are going to be flocking to Europe.
- Kobe Bryant says Gary Payton, Kevin Garnett among best trash talkers he’s faced 4
- PBT’s Wednesday NBA Winners/Losers: Ettore Messina making history for Spurs 1
- LeBron James, Cavaliers have kind of game they need to replicate blowing out Wizards 5
- Gregg Popovich to miss game following ‘minor medical procedure’ 8
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis’s MVP-level play, the Spurs and things to be thankful for 7
- Report: Knicks worried Carmelo Anthony’s back issue may be season-long concern 9
- Report: Lakers working on a one-year deal with Earl Clark 13
- Tom Thibodeau says Derrick Rose ‘didn’t re-injure himself’ after playing just 10 minutes in loss to Nuggets 20