Jul 13, 2011, 5:53 PM EDT
Talk with any hoop player who has worked outside the very highest levels of European basketball and they can tell you horror stories about trying to get paid. Check out what former Cavalier Lance Allred told Sports Illustrated today, about the $160,000 he never got from an Italian team. Stories like that are common.
Hoopshype has the details on how they have missed payments to players for years in a row. The site also talked to Turkish players about the franchise.
“Besiktas is the most f—— up team when it comes to this thing,” a Turkish player that requested anonymity told HoopsHype. “They are supposed to be one of the best teams in Turkey and the last few years even though they had the best players, they didn’t win because the players were mentally messed up (for not getting paid).”
“Deron is going to get all his money, no doubt about it. He’s going to get a great apartment, a luxury car with a driver and security officers,” the Turkish player said. “He’s going to come to practice all happy and the rest of the guys are going to be late on their payments three or four months. It’s going to be the same story all over again.”
Turkish teams seem to be a little more flush with cash right now as the economy in Turkey is doing well compared to the rest of Europe. That leaves owners and sponsors with more cash. Getting them to actually pay up can be the challenge.
As of right now, Besiktas basketball does not have a sponsor for next season. Well, they have a special sponsor for Williams, However the rest of the team may feel the pinch
But sure, NBA players are going to be flocking to Europe.
- Ray Allen on making a decision about next season: “I’m not in any rush” 9
- Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now” 2
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 11
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 14
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 19
- Report: Nike nearing deal to keep Kevin Durant for next 10 years 22
- Report: Rajon Rondo has told Celtics ‘he wants out’ 68
- World Cup Day 1 roundup: Brazil with big win, Andray Blatche puts on a show 6