Jul 12, 2011, 6:59 PM EST
Name to watch in Wolves search: Don Nelson. ESPN.com sources say he’s not only open to return to coaching but intrigued by ‘Sota roster
This would certainly be an interesting hire. The 71-year old Nelson recently retired after clinching the all-time record for regular-season coaching wins. He both took the Warriors to the playoffs for the first time in more than a decade and led them to one of the greatest upsets in playoff history in his first year as Golden State’s head coach, but most feel he overstayed his welcome in Golden State, and the team fell into disarray as Nelson often appeared apathetic on the sidelines.
Still, with Ricky Rubio coming aboard and the roster filled with big men who can shoot like Kevin Love and #2 overall pick Derrick Williams, an uptempo approach could work for the Timberwolves, and Nelson is still the godfather of uptempo basketball in the modern NBA.
- Report: D.J. Augustin reaches deal with Chicago Bulls 1
- PBT Extra: Talking Pacers win over Heat; Aldridge vs. Howard showdown 8
- Kidd says he is reading Frank’s “reports” as details of Nets coaching mess come public 12
- The Extra Pass: The league’s leading lineups; plus Tuesday’s recaps 9
- Tuesday night NBA Grades: Kobe plays pretty well, Suns’ backcourt plays better 16