Jul 12, 2011, 6:59 PM EDT
Name to watch in Wolves search: Don Nelson. ESPN.com sources say he’s not only open to return to coaching but intrigued by ‘Sota roster
This would certainly be an interesting hire. The 71-year old Nelson recently retired after clinching the all-time record for regular-season coaching wins. He both took the Warriors to the playoffs for the first time in more than a decade and led them to one of the greatest upsets in playoff history in his first year as Golden State’s head coach, but most feel he overstayed his welcome in Golden State, and the team fell into disarray as Nelson often appeared apathetic on the sidelines.
Still, with Ricky Rubio coming aboard and the roster filled with big men who can shoot like Kevin Love and #2 overall pick Derrick Williams, an uptempo approach could work for the Timberwolves, and Nelson is still the godfather of uptempo basketball in the modern NBA.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 3
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 20
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 4
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 15
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 50
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 32