Jul 12, 2011, 6:59 PM EDT
Name to watch in Wolves search: Don Nelson. ESPN.com sources say he’s not only open to return to coaching but intrigued by ‘Sota roster
This would certainly be an interesting hire. The 71-year old Nelson recently retired after clinching the all-time record for regular-season coaching wins. He both took the Warriors to the playoffs for the first time in more than a decade and led them to one of the greatest upsets in playoff history in his first year as Golden State’s head coach, but most feel he overstayed his welcome in Golden State, and the team fell into disarray as Nelson often appeared apathetic on the sidelines.
Still, with Ricky Rubio coming aboard and the roster filled with big men who can shoot like Kevin Love and #2 overall pick Derrick Williams, an uptempo approach could work for the Timberwolves, and Nelson is still the godfather of uptempo basketball in the modern NBA.
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 14
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32