Jul 12, 2011, 10:38 AM EDT
When free agency opens up — eventually — Tayshaun Prince is going to have options.
He will turn 31 next season and while he can bring you some solid offense (14.1 points per game on 47 percent shooting last season and he can hit the three) what really makes him valuable is his wing defense. A lot of teams could use a guy like that, a guy with championship pedigree.
Including the Pistons, reports the Detroit Free Press.
Bill Duffy, the agent for Pistons free-agent forward Tayshaun Prince, said he was contacted by Pistons president of basketball operations Joe Dumars before the July 1 lockout to say he was interested in re-signing the veteran….
“Once the new structure is set in place, are the teams that are interested in him now still going to be interested? Yes,” Duffy said. “Will Detroit probably want to re-sign him? Yes. One thing that the league is proposing is some type of phase-in. You won’t see the immediate impact where it would be rigid. If the league were victorious, which we’re obviously against, I think it will be a condensed free-agent period and guys like Tayshaun will still be high on people’s list.”
It was a little surprising the Pistons didn’t pull the trigger and trade Prince at the deadline last season, starting their rebuilding process and getting something back for a player who may leave anyway. But the in-flux (at the time) ownership situation left Dumars’ hands tied. The Piston will talk to Duffy and talk numbers for Prince, but the fact remains that team needs to rebuild, has young wings Austin Daye and Jonas Jerebko, and while Prince is part of a glorious past he is not the long-term future for the team.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 7
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 5
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 4
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 6
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 27
- Report: Patrick Beverley out for rest of season, including playoffs 7
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 9
- Breaking down Eastern Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 10