Jul 12, 2011, 10:38 AM EDT
When free agency opens up — eventually — Tayshaun Prince is going to have options.
He will turn 31 next season and while he can bring you some solid offense (14.1 points per game on 47 percent shooting last season and he can hit the three) what really makes him valuable is his wing defense. A lot of teams could use a guy like that, a guy with championship pedigree.
Including the Pistons, reports the Detroit Free Press.
Bill Duffy, the agent for Pistons free-agent forward Tayshaun Prince, said he was contacted by Pistons president of basketball operations Joe Dumars before the July 1 lockout to say he was interested in re-signing the veteran….
“Once the new structure is set in place, are the teams that are interested in him now still going to be interested? Yes,” Duffy said. “Will Detroit probably want to re-sign him? Yes. One thing that the league is proposing is some type of phase-in. You won’t see the immediate impact where it would be rigid. If the league were victorious, which we’re obviously against, I think it will be a condensed free-agent period and guys like Tayshaun will still be high on people’s list.”
It was a little surprising the Pistons didn’t pull the trigger and trade Prince at the deadline last season, starting their rebuilding process and getting something back for a player who may leave anyway. But the in-flux (at the time) ownership situation left Dumars’ hands tied. The Piston will talk to Duffy and talk numbers for Prince, but the fact remains that team needs to rebuild, has young wings Austin Daye and Jonas Jerebko, and while Prince is part of a glorious past he is not the long-term future for the team.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 30
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 45
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4