Jul 12, 2011, 10:38 AM EDT
When free agency opens up — eventually — Tayshaun Prince is going to have options.
He will turn 31 next season and while he can bring you some solid offense (14.1 points per game on 47 percent shooting last season and he can hit the three) what really makes him valuable is his wing defense. A lot of teams could use a guy like that, a guy with championship pedigree.
Including the Pistons, reports the Detroit Free Press.
Bill Duffy, the agent for Pistons free-agent forward Tayshaun Prince, said he was contacted by Pistons president of basketball operations Joe Dumars before the July 1 lockout to say he was interested in re-signing the veteran….
“Once the new structure is set in place, are the teams that are interested in him now still going to be interested? Yes,” Duffy said. “Will Detroit probably want to re-sign him? Yes. One thing that the league is proposing is some type of phase-in. You won’t see the immediate impact where it would be rigid. If the league were victorious, which we’re obviously against, I think it will be a condensed free-agent period and guys like Tayshaun will still be high on people’s list.”
It was a little surprising the Pistons didn’t pull the trigger and trade Prince at the deadline last season, starting their rebuilding process and getting something back for a player who may leave anyway. But the in-flux (at the time) ownership situation left Dumars’ hands tied. The Piston will talk to Duffy and talk numbers for Prince, but the fact remains that team needs to rebuild, has young wings Austin Daye and Jonas Jerebko, and while Prince is part of a glorious past he is not the long-term future for the team.
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 6
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 19
- NBA GMs surveyed predict LeBron will win MVP, Spurs will repeat as champions 27
- Owners vote down NBA Draft lottery reform, system to stay same for this season 46
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Houston Rockets 24
- Kobe Bryant responds to ESPN article with basically a shrug (VIDEO) 20
- Paul George refutes report he didn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘Media reaching again’ 22