Jul 12, 2011, 1:43 PM EDT
While the talks have been of a barnstorming tour of China, there may be another in the Far East first.
The three stars will be part of a selection that will play a pair of charity exhibition games against SMART-Gilas Philippines national team and an all-star squad from the Philippine Basketball Association. Proceeds of the games will go to the MVP Sports Foundation, whose goal is to uplift Philippine sports and to develop Filipino athletes.
The dates of the games have not been announced, but they would take place in Manila.
Kobe is currently in the Philippines as part of two-day stop over to do some clinics for youth and promote his shoe brand. This is the start of his annual tour of Asia, where he is the most popular NBA athlete. (Remember at the Beijing Olympics how LeBron was amazed at the level of attention Kobe got in comparison to him?).
Looks like if the lockout drags on there could be a second Kobe tour of Asia, and this time he’ll have some friends in tow.
- Elimination game Josh Smith is a thing, Rockets live to play another day 5
- Rockets show it’s better to have James Harden than to not have Stephen Curry 5
- Stephen Curry leaves game after taking a hard fall, cleared to return (VIDEO) 9
- Rumor: Paul Pierce might opt out of contract with Wizards, join Clippers 18
- Golden State Warriors vs. Houston Rockets Game 4: Three things to watch from Houston 9
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 30
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 31