Jul 12, 2011, 11:28 AM EDT
Apparently, Nate Robinson loves all sports that are locked out.
Plenty of people forget that before Nate Robinson was an undersized NBA point guard he was an undersized cornerback for the University of Washington — his original scholarship to the school was for football.
So with the NBA lockout suck in the mud and the NFL lockout apparently inching toward a conclusion he wouldn’t mind returning to his roots, he told SLAM Magazine.
“I might go play football,” the 5-foot-9 Robinson said. “Do something that nobody’s tried to do…. If I can, I would love to play football a little bit. I’ve been doing a little bit of training…. Why wouldn’t you want to have an NBA player that can play football try out? That’s a lot of publicity for your organization.”
If we really want to be practical — and we talked about NBA players like Amar’e Stoudemire balking at playing overseas because an injury could wipe out their NBA contracts — playing NFL football makes it seem like Robinson doesn’t really want the remaining $4.5 million on his deal.
But frankly, we’d love to see it. This sounds like the kind of player/personnel move the Redskins would make, they should bring him in. Robinson’s not going to do any worse on 6’3” Larry Fitzgerald than most other corners.
- Preview: Did Grizzlies figure out Spurs or will Game 3 be more of the same? 0
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 18
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 21
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 17
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 27
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona