Nate Robinson he says may try NFL during NBA lockout

Jul 12, 2011, 11:28 AM EDT

Dallas Mavericks v Oklahoma City Thunder - Game Three Getty Images

Apparently, Nate Robinson loves all sports that are locked out.

Plenty of people forget that before Nate Robinson was an undersized NBA point guard he was an undersized cornerback for the University of Washington — his original scholarship to the school was for football.

So with the NBA lockout suck in the mud and the NFL lockout apparently inching toward a conclusion he wouldn’t mind returning to his roots, he told SLAM Magazine.

“I might go play football,” the 5-foot-9 Robinson said. “Do something that nobody’s tried to do…. If I can, I would love to play football a little bit. I’ve been doing a little bit of training…. Why wouldn’t you want to have an NBA player that can play football try out? That’s a lot of publicity for your organization.”

If we really want to be practical — and we talked about NBA players like Amar’e Stoudemire balking at playing overseas because an injury could wipe out their NBA contracts — playing NFL football makes it seem like Robinson doesn’t really want the remaining $4.5 million on his deal.

But frankly, we’d love to see it. This sounds like the kind of player/personnel move the Redskins would make, they should bring him in. Robinson’s not going to do any worse on 6’3” Larry Fitzgerald than most other corners.

1. tashkalucy - Jul 12, 2011 at 12:07 PM

I think if he’s willing to go over to Dallas, Jerry Jones can get him a job selling beer in the stands.

2. t16rich - Jul 12, 2011 at 2:54 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. He would do worse than most corners covering Fitzgerald. If he comes to the NFL it will be for punt returns. NFL teams had an interest in him for that coming out of college. But he chose basketball because his life in NFL would have likly been short. No pun intended there. Nate was a fun player to watch on the field at UW but there is no way he makes an NFL squad this season.

3. medtxpack - Jul 12, 2011 at 6:15 PM

wouldnt last in the NFL, never gonna happen.

4. kmike82 - Jul 13, 2011 at 8:04 AM

I think he forgot that the NFL is in lockout too..

5. watermelon1 - Jul 13, 2011 at 8:52 AM

Anyone who doesn;t think he could play on an NFL team obviously doesn’t know who Nate Robinson is. You’re the same people who probably thought he couldn’t dunk or block shots…. before he delivered plenty of facials to guys twice his size, and stuffed guys as big as Yao Ming.

Trust me, just like Lebron… Nate Robinson could play in the NFL. And either one would be much more fun to watch than quite a few starters in the NFL right now.

6. delfunk34 - Jul 13, 2011 at 11:00 AM

I saw Nate play football a lot when he was at Washington because I was attending the University of Arizona at the time, and take it from me, Robinson was a very good football player. He’s tough and extremely athletic. I can see him making an NFL roster, not necessarily as a starter, but he could play in a dime package or on special teams. By the way, why is Kurt calling him an undersized cornerback? Has he ever watched a down of football? He’s about the average size for an NFL cornerback.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches