Jul 12, 2011, 2:13 PM EST
All those rumors of Bucks lead assistant Kelvin Sampson going to be the head coach in Minnesota… nah, he’d rather be an assistant somewhere else.
That is a good hire — McHale may have been a better coach than his record showed in Minnesota, but having a very experienced, smart No. 2 next to him will improve his chances for success. Having a good person to bounce ideas off of, a person to get feedback you really trust from, helps. A lot.
The Rockets have also reached a deal with J.B. Bickerstaff, a current Timberwolves to be part of the staff, along with Chris Finch. This is a good team of assistants.
Sampson’s shot at an NBA head job will come, he was rumored to be on the list in Detroit (but not a front runner) and other spots. His name has come up in Minnesota, but Sampson may like what he sees in Houston, may not want to wait to see on that job, and may want to really pick his spot when he does move to the big chair.
The Rockets are a team in transition with the retirement of Yao Ming, a team needing to find it’s next anchor, it’s next superstar. That’s not easy. But they have a good coaching staff in place and that is a start to retooling this team into whatever the next iteration will be.
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 0
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 9
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 44
- Kobe Bryant will be back next season, he can’t resist the challenge 20
- Klay Thompson sets NBA record with 37 point quarter (VIDEO) 36
- If injury is serious, it would go against history for Kobe to be productive again 16
- Sixers’ leading scorer Tony Wroten suffers partially torn ACL, likely done for season 12