Jul 12, 2011, 2:13 PM EDT
All those rumors of Bucks lead assistant Kelvin Sampson going to be the head coach in Minnesota… nah, he’d rather be an assistant somewhere else.
That is a good hire — McHale may have been a better coach than his record showed in Minnesota, but having a very experienced, smart No. 2 next to him will improve his chances for success. Having a good person to bounce ideas off of, a person to get feedback you really trust from, helps. A lot.
The Rockets have also reached a deal with J.B. Bickerstaff, a current Timberwolves to be part of the staff, along with Chris Finch. This is a good team of assistants.
Sampson’s shot at an NBA head job will come, he was rumored to be on the list in Detroit (but not a front runner) and other spots. His name has come up in Minnesota, but Sampson may like what he sees in Houston, may not want to wait to see on that job, and may want to really pick his spot when he does move to the big chair.
The Rockets are a team in transition with the retirement of Yao Ming, a team needing to find it’s next anchor, it’s next superstar. That’s not easy. But they have a good coaching staff in place and that is a start to retooling this team into whatever the next iteration will be.
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 7
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 21
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 54
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 25
- All eyes on Derrick Rose as USA Basketball mini-camp begins 22
- Klay Thompson doesn’t anticipate being traded, says he expects to play with Warriors next season 8
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 47
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 65