Jul 12, 2011, 10:32 PM EDT
Nothing passes the time during the lockout like Dwight Howard speculation. Well, maybe speculation about players going to Europe next season, but Howard is a close second. Even if he keeps saying he wants to stay and the Magic plan on keeping him.
Which brings us to the Boston Celtics.
As things stand now they are nowhere near in the hunt, especially if the Magic decide they have no choice but to trade him (the Celtics do not have guys on the roster tempting to a team that wants to rebuild).
But what if the lockout wipes out the entire next NBA season? Then Howard could just walk away as a free agent. Over at CSN New England A. Sherrod Blakely started doing some speculating.
Once a free agent, it would then be up to Howard to pick the team that he feels will 1) give him the max-salary contract that he deserves and 2) can give him the best chance at winning a championship.
With Kevin Garnett likely retiring after the ’11-12 season, the void in the C’s frontcourt for a veteran defensive presence is obvious. And when you look around the NBA, there’s no player that dominates the interior better than Howard. No one….
And then there’s point guard Rajon Rondo, who spent most of this past season as the top assist man in the NBA.
If you advised Celtics fans to put down the pipe and walk away after reading this, you’d be pretty spot on. This is the long shot of all long shots.
But from Los Angeles to Portland to New York to New Orleans, variations of this same game are being played. And if there weren’t a lockout, it would be going on anyway. And he’s probably going to end up in Orlando when it’s all said and done anyway.
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 3
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 23
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 20
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 4
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 17
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 13