Jul 12, 2011, 10:57 AM EDT
There will be no World Peace coming to England.
The agent for Metta World Peace — aka Ron Artest — has shot down another rumor of the player’s off-season wanderings. After shooting down the Finland rumor last week, this time around David Bauman was shooting down the idea from his client he wanted to play in England if the NBA lockout continues.
“I told him, ‘Ron, the league over there is not strong enough to really give you the competition that you want,’ ” Bauman said in a phone interview with ESPNLosAngles.com on Monday. “Even though that makes sense from a (convenience standpoint), it doesn’t make sense from a basketball perspective….
“England is probably the 10th or 12th best league in Europe,” Bauman said. “That isn’t going to make sense. If we do Europe, it’s going to be Israel, Russia, Greece, Turkey, Italy or maybe France. … When we spoke about the lockout, Ron said, ‘Find me the best teams.’ “
So throw Artest in the massive pile of NBA players who are considering going overseas. Again, we have our doubts about this flood of players signing (it makes for public pressure on the owners in negotiations but we don’t see it happening) but Artest is one guy who might be able to adjust to any situation thrown at him.
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 1
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 13
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 39
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 22
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 19
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29