Jul 11, 2011, 10:29 AM EDT
Tony Parker has laid out the more likely path for name NBA players to head to Europe.
Speaking with BasketUSA (via Hoopshype), he said that if there are no games come the new year and the NBA is talking about cancelling a season, then he would return to France and play. Parker played four seasons in the French league before coming to the NBA, and he is part owner of a team there.
While there is a lot of talk of players going to Europe, for name players this is the likely course — if the NBA season is cancelled they will see if there is a team that will take them on. (Deron Williams is the exception to prove the rule.) These teams will tend not to be the big clubs in Europe — teams that already have good rosters filled with well paid players, teams that will demand a full season commitment — but rather second and third tier teams who can spend a little to rent a star.
Parker also said he and Joakim Noah will play for France this summer at EuroBasket, where Olympic qualifying for the 2012 games in London takes place. While there are questions about insurance for NBA players (who are currently without) Parker said that issue is not as serious as it has been made out to be.
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (77)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Report: Clippers, Celtics talks to send Garnett, Rivers to L.A. stalled (72)
- LIVE: Spurs-Heat, Game 6
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'