Jul 11, 2011, 7:45 PM EDT
The Minnesota Timberwolves have asked the Blazers for permission to interview asst coach Bernie Bickerstaff for their head coach position.
The Timberwolves are about to fire head coach Kurt Rambis (if they can’t shame him into quitting so they don’t have to pay him the remaining $4 million on his deal) after stumbling to the league’s worst record last season. Despite the Wolves’ season-long futility, there does seem to be a light at the end of the tunnel for the franchise: Kevin Love had a season-long coming out party last year, and the Timberwolves will be adding two high-lottery draft picks after drafting Derrick Williams and getting Ricky Rubio to come over from Spain.
Among other coaching jobs, Bickerstaff was the first-ever head coach of the Charlotte Bobcats, and was recently been an assistant coach for the Chicago Bulls under Vinny Del Negro. Bickerstaff’s son is currently an assistant coach with the Timberwolves.
- Rumor: Corey Brewer to Cleveland now part of Kevin Love trade talk 16
- Tony Parker signs (another) contract extension with Spurs 9
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 23
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 18
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61