Jul 11, 2011, 7:45 PM EST
The Minnesota Timberwolves have asked the Blazers for permission to interview asst coach Bernie Bickerstaff for their head coach position.
The Timberwolves are about to fire head coach Kurt Rambis (if they can’t shame him into quitting so they don’t have to pay him the remaining $4 million on his deal) after stumbling to the league’s worst record last season. Despite the Wolves’ season-long futility, there does seem to be a light at the end of the tunnel for the franchise: Kevin Love had a season-long coming out party last year, and the Timberwolves will be adding two high-lottery draft picks after drafting Derrick Williams and getting Ricky Rubio to come over from Spain.
Among other coaching jobs, Bickerstaff was the first-ever head coach of the Charlotte Bobcats, and was recently been an assistant coach for the Chicago Bulls under Vinny Del Negro. Bickerstaff’s son is currently an assistant coach with the Timberwolves.
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Santa brings Warriors top spot, lump of coal for Knicks 9
- Clippers, Mavericks, Rockets and Kings reportedly interested in signing Josh Smith 13
- Pistons release Josh Smith. WHAT? 52
- Lakers may give Kobe Bryant some nights off to rest. If he wants them. 27
- PBT’s Sunday Night Winners/Losers: Anthony Davis is playing like an MVP 13
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 8
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 7
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 20