Jul 11, 2011, 12:47 PM EDT
The New Jersey-but-soon-to-be-Brooklyn Nets have one goal for the next season — keep Deron Williams. He is the cornerstone, he is the guy who can opt out next summer. He is the guy they need to win over.
Which will be pretty hard if there is no next season.
Williams told Chris Broussard of ESPN that a season lost to the labor dispute would hurt the Nets chance of keeping him.
“I think it will kind of put a damper on things because I want to see where the Nets are going this season,” Williams said. “See what kind of additions we can make, because that will definitely help. But I don’t know. I still can’t really say anything until the new CBA because who knows if I even can opt out? There’s no telling.”
Williams spoke highly of the Nets’ organization, saying he played golf with GM Billy King and coach Avery Johnson before the lockout. The club has pitched Williams on being the face of the new franchise in Brooklyn, and he likes what he’s heard so far.
“They have big dreams for Brooklyn and I can kind of picture that,” he said. “It kind of excites me. I think it can be big.”
Since announcing he was going to Turkey, Williams virtually has been the mouthpiece of the players union, and you have to wonder if this all ties in a little. Williams certainly wants the Nets to prove themselves to him, but this gives him a chance to put a little more pressure on one owner to end the lockout sooner. That may be a bit of a cynical way of looking at it, but right now I’m pretty cynical about what everybody says on both sides of this lockout.
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 3
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 23
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 20
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 4
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 17
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 13