Ron Artest bummed about Shaw, may play in England

Jul 11, 2011, 8:48 AM EDT

Ron Artest

Ron Artest… er, sorry, Metta World Peace is traveling the nation now with a four-stop comedy tour he organized. Because he can. He meets these people because he’s in Hollywood — whether he has “gone Hollywood” is a debate among Lakers fans and frankly management.

Bill Plaschke of the Los Angeles Times talked to him about the tour, but the better answers came when he asked about the Lakers coaching change this summer and bringing in Mike Brown. World Peace sounded like a lot of Lakers players. This was not their first choice.

“I feel like, as a unit, we didn’t do what it takes to keep Brian Shaw, and that’s real disappointing,” he said. “You can’t forget where you’re from. You can’t forget what you’ve been through. You can’t forget who helped you win a ring, who was there for you when you were frustrated or stressed out, and I’ve got to give credit to Brian Shaw for all of that.”

However, he added, “This doesn’t mean I won’t love Mike Brown. But for the next couple of months, I’m going to be disappointed about Brian Shaw.”

By the way, and count World Peace among the players considering Europe. But of course in his own way.

Instead of playing for one of the prestigious teams in southern Europe, he plans to play for either the Cheshire Jets or Glasgow Rocks of the British Basketball League.

Um, dude, there’s a British Basketball League?

“The teams aren’t good, but I’m going there to finish a movie, so why not?” he said.

I can think of a few reasons, but rather than list them I’m just going to hope it actually happens.

1. downtowndanny - Jul 11, 2011 at 9:10 AM

Bill Plaschke is a bonehead, anyone familiar with LA sports can tell you that……But anyway, if Meta World does play on a temp basis that makes more sense than what D Will is doing. Why get locked in, not knowing when the lockout is going to end?

• b7p19 - Jul 11, 2011 at 11:34 AM

I was under the impression that DWill had a free escape clause in the event the lockout ends.

• almzor - Jul 11, 2011 at 4:03 PM

He will have an escape clause. The team management is coming to America to finalize his contract this week.

2. henryd3rd - Jul 11, 2011 at 11:05 AM

Last time I looked the Lakers were eliminated from the playoffs by the eventual NBA Champs, Phil Jackson walked off into the sunset, Kobe Bryant had some special procedure done on his ailing knee and the league locked out the players. Having said that why would anyone really care where Artest plays? I never ever tuned into an NBA game to see him play ever.

3. b7p19 - Jul 11, 2011 at 11:33 AM

The Cheshire Jets will never be the same. Metta World Peace is my favorite basketball player, bar none.

Heat can make playoffs without LeBron
Top 10 NBA Player Searches