Jul 11, 2011, 8:48 AM EDT
Ron Artest… er, sorry, Metta World Peace is traveling the nation now with a four-stop comedy tour he organized. Because he can. He meets these people because he’s in Hollywood — whether he has “gone Hollywood” is a debate among Lakers fans and frankly management.
Bill Plaschke of the Los Angeles Times talked to him about the tour, but the better answers came when he asked about the Lakers coaching change this summer and bringing in Mike Brown. World Peace sounded like a lot of Lakers players. This was not their first choice.
“I feel like, as a unit, we didn’t do what it takes to keep Brian Shaw, and that’s real disappointing,” he said. “You can’t forget where you’re from. You can’t forget what you’ve been through. You can’t forget who helped you win a ring, who was there for you when you were frustrated or stressed out, and I’ve got to give credit to Brian Shaw for all of that.”
However, he added, “This doesn’t mean I won’t love Mike Brown. But for the next couple of months, I’m going to be disappointed about Brian Shaw.”
By the way, and count World Peace among the players considering Europe. But of course in his own way.
Instead of playing for one of the prestigious teams in southern Europe, he plans to play for either the Cheshire Jets or Glasgow Rocks of the British Basketball League.
Um, dude, there’s a British Basketball League?
“The teams aren’t good, but I’m going there to finish a movie, so why not?” he said.
I can think of a few reasons, but rather than list them I’m just going to hope it actually happens.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 49
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 12
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 12
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 18
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 35
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32