Jul 11, 2011, 8:48 AM EDT
Ron Artest… er, sorry, Metta World Peace is traveling the nation now with a four-stop comedy tour he organized. Because he can. He meets these people because he’s in Hollywood — whether he has “gone Hollywood” is a debate among Lakers fans and frankly management.
Bill Plaschke of the Los Angeles Times talked to him about the tour, but the better answers came when he asked about the Lakers coaching change this summer and bringing in Mike Brown. World Peace sounded like a lot of Lakers players. This was not their first choice.
“I feel like, as a unit, we didn’t do what it takes to keep Brian Shaw, and that’s real disappointing,” he said. “You can’t forget where you’re from. You can’t forget what you’ve been through. You can’t forget who helped you win a ring, who was there for you when you were frustrated or stressed out, and I’ve got to give credit to Brian Shaw for all of that.”
However, he added, “This doesn’t mean I won’t love Mike Brown. But for the next couple of months, I’m going to be disappointed about Brian Shaw.”
By the way, and count World Peace among the players considering Europe. But of course in his own way.
Instead of playing for one of the prestigious teams in southern Europe, he plans to play for either the Cheshire Jets or Glasgow Rocks of the British Basketball League.
Um, dude, there’s a British Basketball League?
“The teams aren’t good, but I’m going there to finish a movie, so why not?” he said.
I can think of a few reasons, but rather than list them I’m just going to hope it actually happens.
- Sad news: Craig Sager announces his cancer has returned 7
- NBA players’ union head believes new labor deal can be reached without a work stoppage 7
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 19
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 25
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 43
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 22
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39