Jul 11, 2011, 12:13 PM EST
While we question the wisdom of star NBA players heading overseas during the NBA lockout — they carry a lot of risk — we think it makes a lot of sense for guys farther down the food chain.
A source exclusively informed ‘Eurobasket’ that Bynum, who played for Maccabi between the 2006-2008 seasons, expressed strong interest in and is eager to return to Israel for a so-called ‘remix’, where he would pair up with childhood friend, Jeremy Pargo, creating one of the most talented, fastest and most athletic back court line in Europe, as they will work to win a Euroleague title. ‘Bynum would love to go back to Maccabi if it made sense,’ said a source with knowledge of Bynum’s situation, adding, ‘But I know it would be tough for Maccabi to lose him if/when the lockout ends.
Bynum still has two years left on his deal with the Pistons, so like all NBA players under contract he can only go if the international basketball governing body FIBA grants him a “Letter of Clearance.”(Deron Williams needs one as well.) FIBA has yet to officially say if they will grant these letters, hinting before it might not happen until the NBA season was cancelled. If the letters were granted for the start of the European season (late September), then they would have a clause saying the NBA player had to be released to return to the NBA when the lockout was solved. Which may well put off a power like Maccabi.
Bynum averaged 18 minutes and 7.9 points per game for the Pistons off the bench last season.
- Kobe Bryant: “We’re not a 3-11 team. We’re not.” 15
- Tom Thibodeau is getting tired of answering Derrick Rose questions 14
- Veteran NBA coach: ‘I think (Cavaliers head coach David Blatt) is struggling a bit’ 28
- PBT’s Monday night NBA Winners/Losers: That looks more like the Cavaliers we expected 12
- Carmelo Anthony exits Knicks-Rockets game with apparent back injury 9
- Russell Westbrook and Kevin Durant progressing in rehab, Westbrook could play Friday 6
- Lakers forward Xavier Henry ruptured Achilles in practice, out for season 23
- PBT Extra: Our Thanksgiving week turkeys, starting with the 76ers 2