Jul 11, 2011, 12:13 PM EST
While we question the wisdom of star NBA players heading overseas during the NBA lockout — they carry a lot of risk — we think it makes a lot of sense for guys farther down the food chain.
A source exclusively informed ‘Eurobasket’ that Bynum, who played for Maccabi between the 2006-2008 seasons, expressed strong interest in and is eager to return to Israel for a so-called ‘remix’, where he would pair up with childhood friend, Jeremy Pargo, creating one of the most talented, fastest and most athletic back court line in Europe, as they will work to win a Euroleague title. ‘Bynum would love to go back to Maccabi if it made sense,’ said a source with knowledge of Bynum’s situation, adding, ‘But I know it would be tough for Maccabi to lose him if/when the lockout ends.
Bynum still has two years left on his deal with the Pistons, so like all NBA players under contract he can only go if the international basketball governing body FIBA grants him a “Letter of Clearance.”(Deron Williams needs one as well.) FIBA has yet to officially say if they will grant these letters, hinting before it might not happen until the NBA season was cancelled. If the letters were granted for the start of the European season (late September), then they would have a clause saying the NBA player had to be released to return to the NBA when the lockout was solved. Which may well put off a power like Maccabi.
Bynum averaged 18 minutes and 7.9 points per game for the Pistons off the bench last season.
- Kobe Bryant will return to Lakers lineup Sunday vs. Suns 7
- Kevin Love benched entire fourth quarter of Cavaliers win over Magic 25
- PBT’s Top 10 NBA stories of 2014, No. 10: Anthony Davis’ breakout 19
- Rumor: Ray Allen leaning toward retirement, not return 11
- Josh Smith makes Rockets debut, throws down two-handed dunk (VIDEO) 15
- Carmelo Anthony on the Knicks: “The fans are dying, we’re dying” 20
- Rockets officially sign Josh Smith, who will play Friday night; waive Tarik Black 6
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 1