Jul 11, 2011, 8:02 AM EDT
If Paul Pierce gets a bad beat at poker, does he need a wheelchair to take him away from the table, only to come back just fine a few minutes later?
We have yet to find out, because apparently Pierce can play — he has advanced to the second day of the World Series of Poker, taking place in Las Vegas starting last weekend.
He blends in with the rest of the crowd at the event, except for the part where he is wearing that 2008 NBA championship ring, reports ESPN’s poker blog.
Pierce survived the first day of the tournament (which actually takes four days) and is still around while a little more than half the field has been sent packing. Not bad for a guy who describes himself as an amateur. ESPN said this to describe him at the table.
He’s been focused on the task at hand, quietly keeping to himself and offering a more-serious demeanor at the table. His tablemates, including WSOP Circuit champion and Oklahoma City Thunder fan Huy Nguyen, are making small talk, but it’s really all business. At the same time, Pierce has had no problem talking to those on the rail and even taking pictures if he was asked. Unlike most players, he was willing to miss a few hands in order to talk with some fans… After spending some time watching him play, it’s clear that he’s comfortable. With headphones on, he acts with precision, but his general demeanor is intimidating and adds an element to his game that not many others possess.
Hey, a man’s got to make a little extra money during the lockout, and the pot for the WSOP main event is expected to be in the $8 million range. Which is just a little more than half of what he will make playing for the Celtics next season… if there is a season.
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 7
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 2
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10