Jul 10, 2011, 12:00 PM EST
This is your standard “Kobe Bryant refuses to lose even in absurd situations when there’s absolutely no reason for him to play like he has to win” post.
At Bryant’s basketball camp this week he participated in a friendly game of “Knockout” with some of the camp’s participants. Now, Bryant had a couple of options here. He could throw it, letting some kid walk away with a crazy memory of beating Kobe Bryant in “Knockout.” He could just not try, and leave it up to chance. Or he could destroy all the kids, even without really trying. Guess which option he chose?
And then he tore them apart. Watch.
Instead of glorifying this obsession with winning at all costs or making it seem like a bad thing, let’s just make this practical. It’s his camp. The kids are there because of him. So really, he has an obligation to make an appearance worthy of his reputation, and it’s not like he was spotting up or just nailing 360 dunks all the time. He gave the kids a perfect Kobe story. “Kobe won, even in this little game of ‘Knockout,’ that’s how bad he wants to win. What could be more Kobe than that?
Oh, and Matt Barnes… let’s just not say anything, k?
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 26
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 7
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 39
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 57
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 11
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13
- Mavericks suspend Rajon Rondo one game after argument with coach Rick Carlisle 43
- Derrick Rose is hurt again. Where do the Bulls go from here? 28