Jul 10, 2011, 12:00 PM EDT
This is your standard “Kobe Bryant refuses to lose even in absurd situations when there’s absolutely no reason for him to play like he has to win” post.
At Bryant’s basketball camp this week he participated in a friendly game of “Knockout” with some of the camp’s participants. Now, Bryant had a couple of options here. He could throw it, letting some kid walk away with a crazy memory of beating Kobe Bryant in “Knockout.” He could just not try, and leave it up to chance. Or he could destroy all the kids, even without really trying. Guess which option he chose?
And then he tore them apart. Watch.
Instead of glorifying this obsession with winning at all costs or making it seem like a bad thing, let’s just make this practical. It’s his camp. The kids are there because of him. So really, he has an obligation to make an appearance worthy of his reputation, and it’s not like he was spotting up or just nailing 360 dunks all the time. He gave the kids a perfect Kobe story. “Kobe won, even in this little game of ‘Knockout,’ that’s how bad he wants to win. What could be more Kobe than that?
Oh, and Matt Barnes… let’s just not say anything, k?
- With Anthony Davis and Pelicans drained, Warriors deliver down the stretch 0
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 3
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 8
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 3
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 24
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge 2
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Pelican guards need to stay with Curry, Thompson 1
- PBT Extra: Matchup to watch in Bulls vs. Bucks, Derrick Rose vs. Michael Carter-Williams 6