Jul 10, 2011, 12:00 PM EDT
This is your standard “Kobe Bryant refuses to lose even in absurd situations when there’s absolutely no reason for him to play like he has to win” post.
At Bryant’s basketball camp this week he participated in a friendly game of “Knockout” with some of the camp’s participants. Now, Bryant had a couple of options here. He could throw it, letting some kid walk away with a crazy memory of beating Kobe Bryant in “Knockout.” He could just not try, and leave it up to chance. Or he could destroy all the kids, even without really trying. Guess which option he chose?
And then he tore them apart. Watch.
Instead of glorifying this obsession with winning at all costs or making it seem like a bad thing, let’s just make this practical. It’s his camp. The kids are there because of him. So really, he has an obligation to make an appearance worthy of his reputation, and it’s not like he was spotting up or just nailing 360 dunks all the time. He gave the kids a perfect Kobe story. “Kobe won, even in this little game of ‘Knockout,’ that’s how bad he wants to win. What could be more Kobe than that?
Oh, and Matt Barnes… let’s just not say anything, k?
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 0
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 14
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16