Jul 10, 2011, 12:00 PM EST
This is your standard “Kobe Bryant refuses to lose even in absurd situations when there’s absolutely no reason for him to play like he has to win” post.
At Bryant’s basketball camp this week he participated in a friendly game of “Knockout” with some of the camp’s participants. Now, Bryant had a couple of options here. He could throw it, letting some kid walk away with a crazy memory of beating Kobe Bryant in “Knockout.” He could just not try, and leave it up to chance. Or he could destroy all the kids, even without really trying. Guess which option he chose?
And then he tore them apart. Watch.
Instead of glorifying this obsession with winning at all costs or making it seem like a bad thing, let’s just make this practical. It’s his camp. The kids are there because of him. So really, he has an obligation to make an appearance worthy of his reputation, and it’s not like he was spotting up or just nailing 360 dunks all the time. He gave the kids a perfect Kobe story. “Kobe won, even in this little game of ‘Knockout,’ that’s how bad he wants to win. What could be more Kobe than that?
Oh, and Matt Barnes… let’s just not say anything, k?
- He’s on Fire! Kyrie Irving scores 55, knocks down game winning three (VIDEO) 28
- LeBron James out Wednesday vs. Blazers with wrist injury 5
- Home-court advantage means less than ever in NBA. Why? 17
- Nikola Mirotic’s unique style rewarding Bulls for waiting on him 15
- What We Learned in NBA Tuesday Night: Bulls fans should want more of this attacking Derrick Rose 25
- Derrick Rose hits step-back jumper in overtime, lifts Bulls past Warriors (VIDEO) 8
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 11
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 8