Jul 10, 2011, 12:00 PM EDT
This is your standard “Kobe Bryant refuses to lose even in absurd situations when there’s absolutely no reason for him to play like he has to win” post.
At Bryant’s basketball camp this week he participated in a friendly game of “Knockout” with some of the camp’s participants. Now, Bryant had a couple of options here. He could throw it, letting some kid walk away with a crazy memory of beating Kobe Bryant in “Knockout.” He could just not try, and leave it up to chance. Or he could destroy all the kids, even without really trying. Guess which option he chose?
And then he tore them apart. Watch.
Instead of glorifying this obsession with winning at all costs or making it seem like a bad thing, let’s just make this practical. It’s his camp. The kids are there because of him. So really, he has an obligation to make an appearance worthy of his reputation, and it’s not like he was spotting up or just nailing 360 dunks all the time. He gave the kids a perfect Kobe story. “Kobe won, even in this little game of ‘Knockout,’ that’s how bad he wants to win. What could be more Kobe than that?
Oh, and Matt Barnes… let’s just not say anything, k?
- Report: Klay Thompson’s camp ‘frustrated’ Warriors have yet to offer a max contract extension 6
- Report: Kobe Bryant viewed Dwight Howard leaving Lakers in free agency as ‘a positive’ 43
- Report: Cavaliers have had ‘zero discussion’ on contract extension with Tristan Thompson 19
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 26
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 10
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 70