Jul 9, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
Of all the players I would have thought would jump at the chance to go check out European basketball during the lockout, Jonas Jerebko was at the top of the list. Jerebko is from Sweden, and played for multiple Swedish teams and an Italian club before being drafted in the second round of the 2009 draft. He makes second-rounder money. So clearly, Jerebko is looking to go get some extra cash during the lockout, right?
Whoops. From the Detroit Free Press:
Doug Neustadt, who represents Jerebko, said this week that an overseas assignment was not being considered.
“Jonas views himself as an NBA player,” Neustadt said. “We are not looking to go over there.
“If something comes up we will look at it, but we are not actively looking. We are not going over there just to go over.”
This could be part of a bargaining ploy by the Pistons, as Jerebko is a restricted free agent. Pitching him as an NBA player only may be part of the objective in his negotiation plans. It also could have to do with the Achilles injury Jerebko sustained last year that kept him out nearly the entire season. He could probably use as much time as possible to get back to full health.
Still, it’s strange that his team has positioned him in opposition to playing overseas. He’s a natural fit and could use the cash. So Jonas Jerebko is probably not going overseas but Deron Williams is.
This lockout is weird.
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 11
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 45
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 58
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 89
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 12
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 20
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 17
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 13