Jul 9, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
Of all the players I would have thought would jump at the chance to go check out European basketball during the lockout, Jonas Jerebko was at the top of the list. Jerebko is from Sweden, and played for multiple Swedish teams and an Italian club before being drafted in the second round of the 2009 draft. He makes second-rounder money. So clearly, Jerebko is looking to go get some extra cash during the lockout, right?
Whoops. From the Detroit Free Press:
Doug Neustadt, who represents Jerebko, said this week that an overseas assignment was not being considered.
“Jonas views himself as an NBA player,” Neustadt said. “We are not looking to go over there.
“If something comes up we will look at it, but we are not actively looking. We are not going over there just to go over.”
This could be part of a bargaining ploy by the Pistons, as Jerebko is a restricted free agent. Pitching him as an NBA player only may be part of the objective in his negotiation plans. It also could have to do with the Achilles injury Jerebko sustained last year that kept him out nearly the entire season. He could probably use as much time as possible to get back to full health.
Still, it’s strange that his team has positioned him in opposition to playing overseas. He’s a natural fit and could use the cash. So Jonas Jerebko is probably not going overseas but Deron Williams is.
This lockout is weird.
- Hawks cruise to underwhelming Game 1 win over Nets 3
- Kyrie Irving aces, Kevin Love passes first playoff test in Cavaliers win over Celtics 15
- James Harden and Dwight Howard show Mavericks what they’re missing in Rockets’ Game 1 win 10
- Derrick Rose looks like his old self as Bulls beat Bucks in Game 1 19
- Warriors strong enough to outlast Anthony Davis and Pelicans in Game 1 7
- Paul Pierce leads Wizards to overtime Game 1 win over Raptors 6
- Q&A: Corey Brewer on trade from Timberwolves, his 51-point game, Harden’s MVP case, Rockets vs. Mavericks 3
- PBT First Round Playoff Previews: Los Angeles Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs 10