Jul 9, 2011, 11:00 AM EST
Of all the players I would have thought would jump at the chance to go check out European basketball during the lockout, Jonas Jerebko was at the top of the list. Jerebko is from Sweden, and played for multiple Swedish teams and an Italian club before being drafted in the second round of the 2009 draft. He makes second-rounder money. So clearly, Jerebko is looking to go get some extra cash during the lockout, right?
Whoops. From the Detroit Free Press:
Doug Neustadt, who represents Jerebko, said this week that an overseas assignment was not being considered.
“Jonas views himself as an NBA player,” Neustadt said. “We are not looking to go over there.
“If something comes up we will look at it, but we are not actively looking. We are not going over there just to go over.”
This could be part of a bargaining ploy by the Pistons, as Jerebko is a restricted free agent. Pitching him as an NBA player only may be part of the objective in his negotiation plans. It also could have to do with the Achilles injury Jerebko sustained last year that kept him out nearly the entire season. He could probably use as much time as possible to get back to full health.
Still, it’s strange that his team has positioned him in opposition to playing overseas. He’s a natural fit and could use the cash. So Jonas Jerebko is probably not going overseas but Deron Williams is.
This lockout is weird.
- Joe Johnson says players noticed friction between Jason Kidd and Lawrence Frank 17
- ‘Melo says Knicks players “worried” Woodson could lose job if losing continues 6
- The Extra Pass: Chemistry clicking in Denver as Nuggets beat Nets to win seventh straight, and Tuesday’s recaps 2
- Tuesday night NBA Grades: Michael Carter-Williams, Victor Oladipo with dueling rookie triple doubles 5
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 3: We answer twitter questions on Blazers, Pacers vs. Monstars 0
- Kobe Bryant takes to Twitter to defend his contract extension (100)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (51)
- John Wall: ‘I’m the best point guard in the league’ (45)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (39)