Jul 8, 2011, 10:35 AM EST
Larry Bird didn’t sound like a guy who wanted to hang around much longer, the Indiana Pacers were about to be a team in transition in the front office.
The Pacers are in the process of hiring former Portland GM Kevin Pritchard, according to multiple sources.
Its unclear what Pritchard’s role will be w the Pacers but he’ll work under President Larry Bird and GM David Morway, according to sources
He’ll work under them for now, but the guess would be that in a year this will be Pritchard’s ship to steer.
This would be a huge move for the Pacers. Pritchard took over a team nicknamed the “Jail Blazers” because of off-the-court issues and helped build the middle-market Blazers into an up-and-coming team through shrewd draft moves. Ones such as moving to get Brandon Roy and LaMarcus Aldridge in the same draft. Had his moves not been undone by the knees of Roy and Greg Oden, the Blazers might well be a serious force in the West right now.
The Blazers let him go reportedly because his relationship with owner Paul Allen had faltered and they thought he was getting too much credit for the changes in Portland.
This could be a signal of a new direction for the Pacers in the post-Bird era. And it looks like a smart move if it comes to pass.
- You knew this was coming: Carmelo Anthony denies report he has decided to leave Knicks 0
- Kevin Hart to write, star in movie with LeBron James 6
- The Extra Pass: A Google goggle revolution dream, plus Wednesday’s recaps 3
- Wednesday night NBA Grades: LaMarcus Aldridge is a flat out stud 9
- Arena evacuated after fire, Spurs-Timberwolves game in Mexico City postponed 17
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (63)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)