Jul 8, 2011, 10:35 AM EDT
Larry Bird didn’t sound like a guy who wanted to hang around much longer, the Indiana Pacers were about to be a team in transition in the front office.
The Pacers are in the process of hiring former Portland GM Kevin Pritchard, according to multiple sources.
Its unclear what Pritchard’s role will be w the Pacers but he’ll work under President Larry Bird and GM David Morway, according to sources
He’ll work under them for now, but the guess would be that in a year this will be Pritchard’s ship to steer.
This would be a huge move for the Pacers. Pritchard took over a team nicknamed the “Jail Blazers” because of off-the-court issues and helped build the middle-market Blazers into an up-and-coming team through shrewd draft moves. Ones such as moving to get Brandon Roy and LaMarcus Aldridge in the same draft. Had his moves not been undone by the knees of Roy and Greg Oden, the Blazers might well be a serious force in the West right now.
The Blazers let him go reportedly because his relationship with owner Paul Allen had faltered and they thought he was getting too much credit for the changes in Portland.
This could be a signal of a new direction for the Pacers in the post-Bird era. And it looks like a smart move if it comes to pass.
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 3
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 5
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4