Jul 8, 2011, 10:35 AM EDT
Larry Bird didn’t sound like a guy who wanted to hang around much longer, the Indiana Pacers were about to be a team in transition in the front office.
The Pacers are in the process of hiring former Portland GM Kevin Pritchard, according to multiple sources.
Its unclear what Pritchard’s role will be w the Pacers but he’ll work under President Larry Bird and GM David Morway, according to sources
He’ll work under them for now, but the guess would be that in a year this will be Pritchard’s ship to steer.
This would be a huge move for the Pacers. Pritchard took over a team nicknamed the “Jail Blazers” because of off-the-court issues and helped build the middle-market Blazers into an up-and-coming team through shrewd draft moves. Ones such as moving to get Brandon Roy and LaMarcus Aldridge in the same draft. Had his moves not been undone by the knees of Roy and Greg Oden, the Blazers might well be a serious force in the West right now.
The Blazers let him go reportedly because his relationship with owner Paul Allen had faltered and they thought he was getting too much credit for the changes in Portland.
This could be a signal of a new direction for the Pacers in the post-Bird era. And it looks like a smart move if it comes to pass.
- Thunder GM says team won’t amnesty Kendrick Perkins 0
- Western Conference Finals preview: Grizzlies vs. Spurs 0
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks 35
- Roy Hibbert with the monster block on a dunk attempt from Carmelo Anthony (VIDEO) 23
- Nate Robinson unlikely to return to Bulls next season 15
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (64)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (63)
- Bad shooting night for Bulls dooms them in game Game 4. And series. (62)
- Oxbow ends Orb's Triple Crown hopes
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- PST: Teary Beckham likely plays final game
- PFT: Pre-draft fears about Gronk coming true
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- CBT: Chance Coach K returns for '16 Games
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay