Jul 8, 2011, 10:35 AM EST
Larry Bird didn’t sound like a guy who wanted to hang around much longer, the Indiana Pacers were about to be a team in transition in the front office.
The Pacers are in the process of hiring former Portland GM Kevin Pritchard, according to multiple sources.
Its unclear what Pritchard’s role will be w the Pacers but he’ll work under President Larry Bird and GM David Morway, according to sources
He’ll work under them for now, but the guess would be that in a year this will be Pritchard’s ship to steer.
This would be a huge move for the Pacers. Pritchard took over a team nicknamed the “Jail Blazers” because of off-the-court issues and helped build the middle-market Blazers into an up-and-coming team through shrewd draft moves. Ones such as moving to get Brandon Roy and LaMarcus Aldridge in the same draft. Had his moves not been undone by the knees of Roy and Greg Oden, the Blazers might well be a serious force in the West right now.
The Blazers let him go reportedly because his relationship with owner Paul Allen had faltered and they thought he was getting too much credit for the changes in Portland.
This could be a signal of a new direction for the Pacers in the post-Bird era. And it looks like a smart move if it comes to pass.
- LeBron James out Wednesday vs. Blazers with wrist injury 2
- Home-court advantage means less than ever in NBA. Why? 17
- Nikola Mirotic’s unique style rewarding Bulls for waiting on him 15
- What We Learned in NBA Tuesday Night: Bulls fans should want more of this attacking Derrick Rose 25
- Derrick Rose hits step-back jumper in overtime, lifts Bulls past Warriors (VIDEO) 8
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 11
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 8
- Three Things We Learned from NBA Monday: Is it time to mention Anthony Davis with LeBron and Durant? 35