Jul 7, 2011, 8:12 AM EDT
Note to Ray Allen, take the almost out of your quote and you are spot on.
In the end, the lockout is embarrassing, which is almost what he told CSN New England.
“I look at Larry Bird, Michael Jordan, Dr. J, and . . . the money we make, not only us as players but as owners, the money that’s in the loop is so outstanding it’s almost embarrassing that we can make this type of money and we still haggle over what we haggle over.
“It’s important that the game is at an all-time high, and those players in the [1970s] and 80s that generation, they built us to this point that we can afford the salaries that we all afford. We just have to always remember that we have to take the game to the next level, we gotta know that this is bigger than us, and we gotta make sure the game continues to grow.”
Taking the game to the next level is not the same as making sure player salaries stay astronomical. Everyone is going to have to compromise here. Everyone is going to have to give up something — probably more than they want.
It is about the game, I hope someone remembers that.
- Elimination game Josh Smith is a thing, Rockets live to play another day 2
- Rockets show it’s better to have James Harden than to not have Stephen Curry 4
- Stephen Curry leaves game after taking a hard fall, cleared to return (VIDEO) 7
- Rumor: Paul Pierce might opt out of contract with Wizards, join Clippers 15
- Golden State Warriors vs. Houston Rockets Game 4: Three things to watch from Houston 9
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 30
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 31