Jul 7, 2011, 8:12 AM EDT
Note to Ray Allen, take the almost out of your quote and you are spot on.
In the end, the lockout is embarrassing, which is almost what he told CSN New England.
“I look at Larry Bird, Michael Jordan, Dr. J, and . . . the money we make, not only us as players but as owners, the money that’s in the loop is so outstanding it’s almost embarrassing that we can make this type of money and we still haggle over what we haggle over.
“It’s important that the game is at an all-time high, and those players in the [1970s] and 80s that generation, they built us to this point that we can afford the salaries that we all afford. We just have to always remember that we have to take the game to the next level, we gotta know that this is bigger than us, and we gotta make sure the game continues to grow.”
Taking the game to the next level is not the same as making sure player salaries stay astronomical. Everyone is going to have to compromise here. Everyone is going to have to give up something — probably more than they want.
It is about the game, I hope someone remembers that.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 22
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 22
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4