Jul 7, 2011, 8:12 AM EST
Note to Ray Allen, take the almost out of your quote and you are spot on.
In the end, the lockout is embarrassing, which is almost what he told CSN New England.
“I look at Larry Bird, Michael Jordan, Dr. J, and . . . the money we make, not only us as players but as owners, the money that’s in the loop is so outstanding it’s almost embarrassing that we can make this type of money and we still haggle over what we haggle over.
“It’s important that the game is at an all-time high, and those players in the [1970s] and 80s that generation, they built us to this point that we can afford the salaries that we all afford. We just have to always remember that we have to take the game to the next level, we gotta know that this is bigger than us, and we gotta make sure the game continues to grow.”
Taking the game to the next level is not the same as making sure player salaries stay astronomical. Everyone is going to have to compromise here. Everyone is going to have to give up something — probably more than they want.
It is about the game, I hope someone remembers that.
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 21
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 7
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 37
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 56
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 11
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13
- Mavericks suspend Rajon Rondo one game after argument with coach Rick Carlisle 43
- Derrick Rose is hurt again. Where do the Bulls go from here? 28