Jul 7, 2011, 2:15 PM EDT
And I want to drive a Maserati GranTurismo convertible…
Ergin Ataman, the coach of the Turkish team Besiktas in Istanbul that has a deal in principle with Deron Williams in a real coup — one that has to get the clearance of international governing body FIBA still — plus has reached terms with Zaza Pachulia is now just getting greedy.
The coach whose 19-11 team finished sixth in the Turkish League last year told our man Howard Beck of the New York Times he’d also like to sign Kobe Bryant. Again, back to me and the Maserati, but that’s what he said.
“If there’s a possibility, we’ll talk with Kobe if he’d like to play in Europe with Deron and with other guys to play we can talk with him,” Ataman said. “If Kobe would like to play with us, we will also contact his agent and maybe with him.”
Yea, right. I hear Kobe wants Mickael Pietrus to play with him in Turkey…
Getting D-Will is a great signing by Besiktas, great public relations move even if he never steps on the court for them. And he may not — their first game is Sept. 27 and if there is going to be a full NBA season the lockout needs to be ended and a new NBA labor deal struck right about then.
Besiktas is a team that also missed payroll at a point last season and the players went on strike. Make sure you can make the Williams thing work and stop dreaming about Kobe… he’s doing a barnstorming tour of China anyway.
- USA cruises past Finland in World Cup opener, 114-55 11
- World Cup Preview: USA vs. Finland, what to expect 4
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 31
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 5
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 22
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 11
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 2
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 21