Jul 7, 2011, 2:15 PM EDT
And I want to drive a Maserati GranTurismo convertible…
Ergin Ataman, the coach of the Turkish team Besiktas in Istanbul that has a deal in principle with Deron Williams in a real coup — one that has to get the clearance of international governing body FIBA still — plus has reached terms with Zaza Pachulia is now just getting greedy.
The coach whose 19-11 team finished sixth in the Turkish League last year told our man Howard Beck of the New York Times he’d also like to sign Kobe Bryant. Again, back to me and the Maserati, but that’s what he said.
“If there’s a possibility, we’ll talk with Kobe if he’d like to play in Europe with Deron and with other guys to play we can talk with him,” Ataman said. “If Kobe would like to play with us, we will also contact his agent and maybe with him.”
Yea, right. I hear Kobe wants Mickael Pietrus to play with him in Turkey…
Getting D-Will is a great signing by Besiktas, great public relations move even if he never steps on the court for them. And he may not — their first game is Sept. 27 and if there is going to be a full NBA season the lockout needs to be ended and a new NBA labor deal struck right about then.
Besiktas is a team that also missed payroll at a point last season and the players went on strike. Make sure you can make the Williams thing work and stop dreaming about Kobe… he’s doing a barnstorming tour of China anyway.
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 4
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 20
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 9
- Dwyane Wade agrees to one-year, $20 million deal to stay with Heat 54
- PBT Podcast: Talking best signings of free agency so far 0
- Report: Pacers agree to four-year, $44 million contract with Monta Ellis 22
- Report: Greg Monroe signing a maximum contract with Bucks 56
- Lakers, Knicks struggle on hectic first day of free agency 64