Jul 7, 2011, 5:08 PM EST
Next season, whether or not we have NBA games, we will have D-League games. (Some of which you can see on Versus, just to do an in-house plug.)
And there will be D-League games in Canton, Ohio, because the Cleveland Cavaliers have purchased the D-League team in New Mexico Thunderbirds and will be moving them to Canton, the team announced. The Canton team will be Cleveland’s primary D-League affiliate.
Every NBA team has an affiliation with a D-League team where they can send players in their first two years in the NBA down for seasoning. Five NBA teams own a D-League team and have a ‘one-to-one’ affiliation: The Golden State Warriors (Dakota Wizards), Los Angeles Lakers (Los Angeles D-Fenders), Oklahoma City Thunder (Tulsa 66ers) and San Antonio Spurs (Austin Toros). Four others have what the league describes as a “hybrid” affiliation: The Houston Rockets (Rio Grande Valley Vipers), New Jersey Nets (Springfield Armor), New York Knicks (Erie BayHawks) and Dallas Mavericks (Texas Legends).
The league also released the affiliations for the other D-League teams:
Bakersfield Jam (California): Los Angeles Clippers, Phoenix Suns, Toronto Raptors.
Fort Wayne Mad Ants (Indiana): Detroit Pistons, Indiana Pacers, Milwaukee Bucks.
Idaho Stampede: Denver Nuggets, Portland Trail Blazers, Utah Jazz.
Iowa Energy: Chicago Bulls, New Orleans Hornets, Washington Wizards.
Maine Red Claws: Boston Celtics, Charlotte Bobcats, Philadelphia 76ers.
Reno Bighorns (Nevada): Atlanta Hawks, Memphis Grizzlies, Sacramento King.
Sioux Falls Skyforce (South Dakota): Miami Heat, Minnesota Timberwolves, Orlando Magic.
- Kobe Bryant says Gary Payton, Kevin Garnett among best trash talkers he’s faced 0
- PBT’s Wednesday NBA Winners/Losers: Ettore Messina making history for Spurs 1
- LeBron James, Cavaliers have kind of game they need to replicate blowing out Wizards 5
- Gregg Popovich to miss game following ‘minor medical procedure’ 7
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis’s MVP-level play, the Spurs and things to be thankful for 7
- Report: Knicks worried Carmelo Anthony’s back issue may be season-long concern 9
- Report: Lakers working on a one-year deal with Earl Clark 13
- Tom Thibodeau says Derrick Rose ‘didn’t re-injure himself’ after playing just 10 minutes in loss to Nuggets 20