Jul 7, 2011, 5:08 PM EST
Next season, whether or not we have NBA games, we will have D-League games. (Some of which you can see on Versus, just to do an in-house plug.)
And there will be D-League games in Canton, Ohio, because the Cleveland Cavaliers have purchased the D-League team in New Mexico Thunderbirds and will be moving them to Canton, the team announced. The Canton team will be Cleveland’s primary D-League affiliate.
Every NBA team has an affiliation with a D-League team where they can send players in their first two years in the NBA down for seasoning. Five NBA teams own a D-League team and have a ‘one-to-one’ affiliation: The Golden State Warriors (Dakota Wizards), Los Angeles Lakers (Los Angeles D-Fenders), Oklahoma City Thunder (Tulsa 66ers) and San Antonio Spurs (Austin Toros). Four others have what the league describes as a “hybrid” affiliation: The Houston Rockets (Rio Grande Valley Vipers), New Jersey Nets (Springfield Armor), New York Knicks (Erie BayHawks) and Dallas Mavericks (Texas Legends).
The league also released the affiliations for the other D-League teams:
Bakersfield Jam (California): Los Angeles Clippers, Phoenix Suns, Toronto Raptors.
Fort Wayne Mad Ants (Indiana): Detroit Pistons, Indiana Pacers, Milwaukee Bucks.
Idaho Stampede: Denver Nuggets, Portland Trail Blazers, Utah Jazz.
Iowa Energy: Chicago Bulls, New Orleans Hornets, Washington Wizards.
Maine Red Claws: Boston Celtics, Charlotte Bobcats, Philadelphia 76ers.
Reno Bighorns (Nevada): Atlanta Hawks, Memphis Grizzlies, Sacramento King.
Sioux Falls Skyforce (South Dakota): Miami Heat, Minnesota Timberwolves, Orlando Magic.
- Kobe is back but loss to Raptors shows Lakers still have a lot of work to do 2
- Sunday night NBA Grades: Rudy Gay traded to Kings, Kobe returns for Lakers 1
- Expect to see facilitator Kobe in his return to Lakers 5
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players 25
- Knicks lose by 41 points at home to Celtics 24
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)