Jul 6, 2011, 10:55 PM EDT
As a dad, I totally get the wanting and expecting the best for your kids. I understand thinking they are the best ever. Mine (all under 8) will all grow up to be doctors or the lead actress in Broadway musicals. I have no doubt.
That side of me can see where Travis Outlaw’s dad is coming from, that big things are expected in Outlaw’s second year with the Nets after a tough first season.
Travis’ father John expects better things from his son as his career with the Nets enters a second season.
In conversation with New Jersey head coach Avery Johnson, John overheard that the coaches would like for Travis to put up at least 17 shots per outing.
Even though Travis felt there weren’t the opportunities to take that many shots last year, things may be different moving forward.
“(Johnson) said, ‘I want you to put up those 17 shots’ so this year, Travis said it’s on,” John Outlaw said.
Outlaw took 8.9 shots per game last season — and as he shot 37.5 percent from the floor he should have taken a lot fewer. Brook Lopez (who has a good inside offensive game) took 16 per game, Deron Williams 14.1. You think Avery Johnson wants Outlaw to take more shots than them? Johnson is a smart man. He wants his best players shooting more.
Outlaw lost his three-point touch last season, hitting 30.2 percent of his threes after hitting 37.8 the previous season. He has to find that groove again, be a stretch four. Then the shots will come.
But not 17 a game. Not ever.
- Bugs Bunny teases the Jordan XXX in interview with Ahmad Rashad (VIDEO) 1
- Report: LeBron James calls the plays, Cavaliers coach David Blatt repeats them to team 50
- Kevin Durant says he’d ‘love to’ stay with Thunder his entire career, wants his jersey retired in OKC 15
- Anthony Davis says James Harden should be MVP 20
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 7
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13