Jul 6, 2011, 10:55 PM EDT
As a dad, I totally get the wanting and expecting the best for your kids. I understand thinking they are the best ever. Mine (all under 8) will all grow up to be doctors or the lead actress in Broadway musicals. I have no doubt.
That side of me can see where Travis Outlaw’s dad is coming from, that big things are expected in Outlaw’s second year with the Nets after a tough first season.
Travis’ father John expects better things from his son as his career with the Nets enters a second season.
In conversation with New Jersey head coach Avery Johnson, John overheard that the coaches would like for Travis to put up at least 17 shots per outing.
Even though Travis felt there weren’t the opportunities to take that many shots last year, things may be different moving forward.
“(Johnson) said, ‘I want you to put up those 17 shots’ so this year, Travis said it’s on,” John Outlaw said.
Outlaw took 8.9 shots per game last season — and as he shot 37.5 percent from the floor he should have taken a lot fewer. Brook Lopez (who has a good inside offensive game) took 16 per game, Deron Williams 14.1. You think Avery Johnson wants Outlaw to take more shots than them? Johnson is a smart man. He wants his best players shooting more.
Outlaw lost his three-point touch last season, hitting 30.2 percent of his threes after hitting 37.8 the previous season. He has to find that groove again, be a stretch four. Then the shots will come.
But not 17 a game. Not ever.
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 31
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 32
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 6
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 17
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23