Jul 6, 2011, 4:45 PM EST
Marc Berman of the New York Post has the story:
A source said Mike D’Antoni’s assistant coaches — Dan D’Antoni, Phil Weber, Herb Williams and Kenny Atkinson — have signed contract extensions for next season, though the club has not and will not announce it. D’Antoni has plans to add another defensive assistant to the staff.
The Knicks re-signing all of D’Antoni’s assistants, particularly his brother, would seem to suggest that D’Antoni will be given at least one more year as the head coach of the Knicks. The Knicks finally returned to the playoffs last season after signing Amar’e Stoudemire in the off-season and trading for Carmelo Anthony at the trade deadline, but the team was horrendous defensively all season, and Stoudemire and Anthony never really seemed to mesh offensively.
When the Knicks were swept in the first round of the playoffs by the Boston Celtics, D’Antoni seemed to be outcoached in key moments by Celtics head coach Doc Rivers. D’Antoni probably deserves a full year with both Anthony and Stoudemire to try and make the style that worked for him in Phoenix work in New York, but the Knicks may have to get more out of their players next season than they did last season for D’Antoni to have any long-term job security.
- Monday night NBA Grades: DeMarcus Cousins was in beast mode 0
- PBT Extra: Kobe Bryant is back, doesn’t have much time to get it right 3
- It’s official, Clippers agree to terms with Stephen Jackson 3
- PBT NBA Power Rankings: At the quarter pole Portland takes the lead 17
- Paul Pierce practiced Monday, could return vs. Celtics Tuesday 2
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)