Jul 6, 2011, 4:45 PM EDT
Marc Berman of the New York Post has the story:
A source said Mike D’Antoni’s assistant coaches — Dan D’Antoni, Phil Weber, Herb Williams and Kenny Atkinson — have signed contract extensions for next season, though the club has not and will not announce it. D’Antoni has plans to add another defensive assistant to the staff.
The Knicks re-signing all of D’Antoni’s assistants, particularly his brother, would seem to suggest that D’Antoni will be given at least one more year as the head coach of the Knicks. The Knicks finally returned to the playoffs last season after signing Amar’e Stoudemire in the off-season and trading for Carmelo Anthony at the trade deadline, but the team was horrendous defensively all season, and Stoudemire and Anthony never really seemed to mesh offensively.
When the Knicks were swept in the first round of the playoffs by the Boston Celtics, D’Antoni seemed to be outcoached in key moments by Celtics head coach Doc Rivers. D’Antoni probably deserves a full year with both Anthony and Stoudemire to try and make the style that worked for him in Phoenix work in New York, but the Knicks may have to get more out of their players next season than they did last season for D’Antoni to have any long-term job security.
- Eastern Conference Finals preview: Pacers vs. Heat 2
- Clippers let go of Vinny Del Negro as coach 19
- Durant donates $1 million to Oklahoma City tornado disaster relief efforts 12
- Odds for the NBA Draft Lottery (that teams don’t care if they win) 11
- Jim Boeheim says Knicks problem is not Carmelo, it’s everyone else 8
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery