Jul 6, 2011, 4:45 PM EDT
Marc Berman of the New York Post has the story:
A source said Mike D’Antoni’s assistant coaches — Dan D’Antoni, Phil Weber, Herb Williams and Kenny Atkinson — have signed contract extensions for next season, though the club has not and will not announce it. D’Antoni has plans to add another defensive assistant to the staff.
The Knicks re-signing all of D’Antoni’s assistants, particularly his brother, would seem to suggest that D’Antoni will be given at least one more year as the head coach of the Knicks. The Knicks finally returned to the playoffs last season after signing Amar’e Stoudemire in the off-season and trading for Carmelo Anthony at the trade deadline, but the team was horrendous defensively all season, and Stoudemire and Anthony never really seemed to mesh offensively.
When the Knicks were swept in the first round of the playoffs by the Boston Celtics, D’Antoni seemed to be outcoached in key moments by Celtics head coach Doc Rivers. D’Antoni probably deserves a full year with both Anthony and Stoudemire to try and make the style that worked for him in Phoenix work in New York, but the Knicks may have to get more out of their players next season than they did last season for D’Antoni to have any long-term job security.
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 29
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 39
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 14
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 44
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 42