Jul 6, 2011, 11:32 AM EDT
With the NBA locked out the siren call of playing in Europe is getting a lot of attention. Each day we will bring you updates on who is going, thinking about going, and who is staying.
• Danilo Gallinari of Denver — the Italian forward who was traded from the Knicks to the Nuggets as part of the Carmelo Anthony deal — told Sportando he “couldn’t rule out” a short stint in Europe. As we have said with other players, Gallinari is under contract with the Nuggets and lockout or no he would need a Letter of Clearance from FIBA to play internationally. Gallinari said he had not really looked into it, but if an entire NBA season were lost and FIBA started handing out those letters, Gallinari likely would have interest.
• David Lightly, the Ohio State shooting guard who was one of the best undrafted players in the 2011 NBA Draft, did sign with Cantu (reports DraftExpress). Lightly is the kind of player who, if there had been a Summer League in Vegas (and in Orlando) he would have had a chance to prove he belonged and may well have landed with a team. But with his chance this season wiped out he makes a smart move to get a sure payday with a good team in Italy.
• The agent for Blazers forward Nicolas Batum said that if there is an extended lockout his client might return to Europe. Like Gallinari, Batum is under contract (with the Blazers) so he would need approval from FIBA to be able to sign overseas.
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 2
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 4
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 7
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 27
- Report: Patrick Beverley out for rest of season, including playoffs 8