Jul 6, 2011, 11:32 AM EST
With the NBA locked out the siren call of playing in Europe is getting a lot of attention. Each day we will bring you updates on who is going, thinking about going, and who is staying.
• Danilo Gallinari of Denver — the Italian forward who was traded from the Knicks to the Nuggets as part of the Carmelo Anthony deal — told Sportando he “couldn’t rule out” a short stint in Europe. As we have said with other players, Gallinari is under contract with the Nuggets and lockout or no he would need a Letter of Clearance from FIBA to play internationally. Gallinari said he had not really looked into it, but if an entire NBA season were lost and FIBA started handing out those letters, Gallinari likely would have interest.
• David Lightly, the Ohio State shooting guard who was one of the best undrafted players in the 2011 NBA Draft, did sign with Cantu (reports DraftExpress). Lightly is the kind of player who, if there had been a Summer League in Vegas (and in Orlando) he would have had a chance to prove he belonged and may well have landed with a team. But with his chance this season wiped out he makes a smart move to get a sure payday with a good team in Italy.
• The agent for Blazers forward Nicolas Batum said that if there is an extended lockout his client might return to Europe. Like Gallinari, Batum is under contract (with the Blazers) so he would need approval from FIBA to be able to sign overseas.
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 24
- Report: Knicks have ‘zero intention’ of trading Carmelo Anthony 12
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 6
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 22
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 17
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (48)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (45)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)