Dallas’ Mahinmi says Kobe is NBA’s most arrogant player

Jul 6, 2011, 10:37 AM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers v New Orleans Hornets - Game Three Getty Images

The Lakers are down are down, and people are lining up to kick them. After three straight trips to the finals and two titles, the Los Angeles was unceremoniously swept out of the playoffs in the second round by Dallas. Then the Lakers lost their coach, who was a bigger star than most of the players. There are questions about if they can bounce back.

That’s when Dallas’ backup center Ian Mahinmi decided to kick Kobe Bryant while he was down.

Mahinmi called Kobe the league’s most arrogant player in an interview with French NBA site BasketUSA (via the Express-News Spurs Blog and Hoopshype).

“Kobe is super arrogant but everybody loves him,” Mahinmi said. “To me, Kobe is more arrogant (than LeBron James).”

Kobe lives for that kind of fuel, we’ll see if he takes it out Mavericks when they play next season (and we’ll see if in the quest to prove himself he takes the Lakers out of their offensive flow with his domination of the ball). Most players don’t play well angry, Kobe is one of the exceptions. Next season could be interesting out west.

1. edmazeing1 - Jul 6, 2011 at 10:41 AM

No you think!!!

• mella21 - Jul 6, 2011 at 3:23 PM

Honestly, the lead in about kicking the Lakers while they’re down seems overblown, because the comment, as it was intended, could be VERY benign. Since it’s in print without context, it probably comes off worse….i.e. Noah’s “Hollywood as Hell”.

I remember reading that quote and feeling like “wow, Noah can’t shut up after a loss”? Then I actually saw the video, and he was actually giving the Heat a compliment, but said something completely offhand which the media blew up.

2. SmackSaw - Jul 6, 2011 at 10:43 AM

If by arrogant you mean successful then you are correct.

3. savocabol1 - Jul 6, 2011 at 10:47 AM

“The Lakers are down are down, and people are lining up to kick them. After three straight trips to the finals and two titles, the Los Angeles was unceremoniously swept out of the playoffs in the second round by Dallas.”

Apparently there is a job opening for a spell checker. Where can I submit my resume?

• jkmanning18 - Jul 6, 2011 at 11:24 AM

the one dislike is from Kurt Helin

• jkmanning18 - Jul 6, 2011 at 4:52 PM

i guess kurt helin made 17 accounts just for this post :()

• mytthor - Jul 6, 2011 at 12:50 PM

Don’t bother, you won’t get the job. There’s nothing misspelled in that sentence. A couple extra words, but no spelling errors.

4. lucky5934 - Jul 6, 2011 at 10:50 AM

Who is this guy? I have never heard of him. And when you make the NBA Finals seven times, winning five of them, I think he has earned the right to be a little arrogant. Lord knows MJ, Bird, and Isiah all had a little arrogance to them. Lebron on the other hand is trying to overkill the whole arrogance thing.

• florida727 - Jul 6, 2011 at 12:30 PM

Nobody, let me emphasize it again, NOBODY, compares to Jordan on the arrogance scale. All you have to do is watch his Hall of Fame induction speech if you’re looking for proof. Seriously, who flies in the guy who made the HIGH SCHOOL team ahead of him, just so you can say, “yeah, look what I became v. what you are”. Sorry. MJ really is in a league all his own on this one. And the vote isn’t even close… even in Florida :)

5. chargerdillon - Jul 6, 2011 at 10:57 AM

Keep motivating him, please :-)

6. chitownjeff - Jul 6, 2011 at 11:09 AM

Yeah .. Kobe is going to really put this up on the bulletin board. Comments from a guy who he probably wouldn’t recognize at a restaurant really will serve to motivate him..

• ahemahem - Jul 6, 2011 at 3:28 PM

chitownjeff, if Kobe saw this guy at a restaurant he’d probably ask him for a menu.

7. jmessinger - Jul 6, 2011 at 11:28 AM

And as Kobe hoists the 2012 Larry O’Brien Trophy, he winks at Stuart Scott, and then announces to a wild Staples Center crowd: “How you like me now, Ian Mahinmi!”

• ahemahem - Jul 6, 2011 at 3:28 PM

jmessinger, if Kobe hoists the trophy, Ian Mahinmi will be the last thing on his mind.

• jmessinger - Jul 7, 2011 at 11:27 AM

That was the joke. I was commenting on the lunacy of thinking Kobe cares about this, or that it’s even a story.

8. trbowman - Jul 6, 2011 at 11:49 AM

The Lakers will be fine. They’re too big to fail

9. lucky5934 - Jul 6, 2011 at 12:03 PM

I just realized why I don’t know who Ian Mahinmi is… 5. 5 minutes per game, 1.8ppg, and 1.0 rpg in the playoffs. He must of been the guy handing cups of water the players who actually played when they came off the court. Jason Kidd even made the following comment about Ian, ” Man I don’t know what we would do without Big M. He was always reliable, someone we could count on. Whenever I was thirsty, he always had a cup of water for me. You can’t find talent like that anywhere these days.”

10. 1742hawk - Jul 6, 2011 at 12:14 PM

Lucky……he made $ 3 Million more than you did last year. And he doesn’t know who you are.

11. wlubake - Jul 6, 2011 at 12:26 PM

Seems like kind of a nothing comment to me. Complete lack of context. Also, you have to consider whether the translation from French carries the same weight as “arrogant” does in English. I guess there is a lockout, though, and posts to fill…

12. 00maltliquor - Jul 6, 2011 at 12:32 PM

And Ian Mahinmi is the NBA’s most irrelevant player. Hey Ian, until you figure out how to unglue yourself off that bench for more then a few minutes of garbage time every other handful of games, keep Kobe’s name out your mouth.

• jjared1101 - Jul 6, 2011 at 1:04 PM

Wow. That’s a lot of hate for a guy who was probably asked a question and gave an opinion.

13. jjared1101 - Jul 6, 2011 at 12:56 PM

Geeezz… a lot of hurt Laker fans around here. He just said the guy is arrogant, which Kobe most certainly is. Confidence and arrogance are sometimes one in the same. He also said that everyone loves him, so it’s not as if he’s calling Kobe out or anything.

• ahemahem - Jul 6, 2011 at 3:30 PM

Ian Mahinmi says Kobe is more arrogant than LeBron. I’m sure he parties with both of them all the time, so if anybody knows, he does.

Not.

• mella21 - Jul 6, 2011 at 3:57 PM

Im guessing from being on the court with them & seeing how players interact behind the scenes, ANY NBA player could have made an informed opinion.

Alot of you guys are taking this way out of proportion. Even Kobe would probably acknowledge he was arrogant…its a part of his game. You think if Jordan was playing today he wouldn’t be viewed more in line with Kobe/Lebron than say Durant/Dirk? Come on.

• jjared1101 - Jul 6, 2011 at 4:03 PM

Yes…he doesn’t probably “party” with them all the time, but he did play against both of them this year in the playoffs. And the fact that Kobe was so defiant after game 3 about how he felt they were still going to win (not saying that’s a bad way to look at things) and how he gave the Mutumbo finger to Jason Terry after he scored a jumper in game one had no impact on his observation.

14. princesspr64 - Jul 6, 2011 at 1:42 PM

hummmmm……WOW, you win ONE ….ONE and most likely ONLY championship and you have the NERVE to speak about Kobe….Unitl you get Kobe career then you may speak….but, NOT before!

• jjared1101 - Jul 6, 2011 at 4:13 PM

HAHA…Yes…. How DARE he besmirch the name of the great Kobe.

• goforthanddie - Jul 7, 2011 at 4:09 AM

We certainly don’t want to support free speech, especially when it’s the truth.

15. russgrant - Jul 6, 2011 at 1:42 PM

This should be filed as “I really have nothing to report but I have to justify my paycheck so please suffer through my fluff story”

16. russgrant - Jul 6, 2011 at 1:46 PM

And for the record, Kobe is as arrogant as they come. An ego that’s louder than God’s revolver and twice as shiny! But he has the championship rings to back it up.

17. goforthanddie - Jul 6, 2011 at 1:47 PM

1-I don’t like Kobe.
    2-Look at Kobe’s fingers.
    3-Pretend he’s wearing all his championship rings while you’re looking.
    4-When you sparkle like that, you’ve earned your arrogance.

18. thetooloftools - Jul 6, 2011 at 2:30 PM

This clown isn’t fit to carry Kobe’s jewelry box.

19. jaypace - Jul 6, 2011 at 4:21 PM

I’m sure this bum has never been on the floor with Kobe. Just because you won a chip doesn’t mean anybody cares what you have to say 12th guy.

20. wlubake - Jul 6, 2011 at 4:35 PM

I read the source article, which the author here clearly did not (thanks Bing translator). The interviewer asked Mahimi if LeBron is overly arrogant. Ian seems to be defending LeBron. He says the above quote, that Kobe is super arrogant, but everyone loves him. He’s more arrogant than LeBron. It reads to me like, “I don’t know why everyone hates on LeBron for being arrogant. Kobe is more arrogant but people love him.”

He certainly did NOT say that Kobe was the most arrogant player in the NBA. That is a bastardized version of his quote which helps to get 30 comments on your blog post.

Just FYI, for those who care.

21. iplaybingowitholdpeopleandwin - Jul 6, 2011 at 4:51 PM

Ok. (First off, I’m not a huge Kobe fan.) So Kobe’s an arrogant dude. He’s probably a bit over confident but he generally backs up his confidence with his play. Right now, I can only think of this being a problem when he interacts with people, that is fans, when he’s not on the court. Does he talk down to waitstaff? When on international TV, does he say something like “People are going to wake up tomorrow with the same problems they had today” or does he say, “No, the haters don’t bother me. If anything it gives me more motivation to play my best.”? Just sayin…on the court you play the game. You intimidate your rivals. It’s all part of the psychology of the game.

22. sgm405 - Jul 6, 2011 at 4:52 PM

Kobe IS the most arrogant player in the league, LeBron #2. The difference between Kobe and LeBron is that Kobe has and continues to back up his arrogance, while LeBron continues to fail under the bright lights.

23. stinkfingers - Jul 6, 2011 at 4:59 PM

Is it really news that Kobe Bryant is an arrogant prick?

I thought that was common knowledge…

• socalgal64 - Jul 11, 2011 at 2:14 PM

And now you’ve let us all in on your secret.

24. lunasceiling - Jul 6, 2011 at 5:58 PM

Arrogance isn’t the most likable or admirable character trait, but at least the scale of Kobe’s accomplishments matches that of his arrogance. LeBron? Not so much…

25. Bryce - Jul 6, 2011 at 6:01 PM

I love this article. Although I was glad to see the Lakers fall (It was time to see something different in the playoffs) Kobe Bryant is a winner and if he can back that up then more power to him. It’s the players who don’t have the win factor that never make it to the status that Kobe, MJ, and the like have obtained.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches