Dallas’ Mahinmi says Kobe is NBA’s most arrogant player

Jul 6, 2011, 10:37 AM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers v New Orleans Hornets - Game Three Getty Images

The Lakers are down are down, and people are lining up to kick them. After three straight trips to the finals and two titles, the Los Angeles was unceremoniously swept out of the playoffs in the second round by Dallas. Then the Lakers lost their coach, who was a bigger star than most of the players. There are questions about if they can bounce back.

That’s when Dallas’ backup center Ian Mahinmi decided to kick Kobe Bryant while he was down.

Mahinmi called Kobe the league’s most arrogant player in an interview with French NBA site BasketUSA (via the Express-News Spurs Blog and Hoopshype).

“Kobe is super arrogant but everybody loves him,” Mahinmi said. “To me, Kobe is more arrogant (than LeBron James).”

Kobe lives for that kind of fuel, we’ll see if he takes it out Mavericks when they play next season (and we’ll see if in the quest to prove himself he takes the Lakers out of their offensive flow with his domination of the ball). Most players don’t play well angry, Kobe is one of the exceptions. Next season could be interesting out west.

1. Chris Ross - Jul 6, 2011 at 7:05 PM

I don’t think what Ian Mahinmi is saying is necessarily false. I mean, Kobe is known around the league as one of the most arrogant guys and all Mahinmi did was make his statement public. I’m not sure how relevant it is that he is a 3rd string center. He has the ability to voice his opinion as he is an NBA player so why not just answer the question. No one can answer a question honestly these days. I’m not sure what Ian Mahinmi’s getting from the media is fair at this point.

2. damp1015 - Jul 6, 2011 at 7:35 PM

It makes me wonder if he would have voiced his opinion if he was not a champion? Hmm? Balls get ballsy when you feel big.

3. downtowndanny - Jul 6, 2011 at 10:02 PM

who???

4. phillysports266 - Jul 7, 2011 at 12:00 AM

Kobe is the type of arrogant that says, “I refuse to lose to this inferior player”, so was Jordan and so are all great players. LeBron is the type of arrogant that says “OMG, I don’t get it, I’m soooo much better and I’m still losing?”

5. jizzojames - Jul 7, 2011 at 12:42 AM

When I saw the headline of this post I was ready to comment, but seriously.. Who is Ian Mahinmi?!! I respect your opinion but who are you?

6. illyistic1 - Jul 7, 2011 at 1:51 PM

Will this goober even get a ring? How would he know how arrogant kobe is when he never gets on the court? Im just saying!

7. duhgrate1 - Jul 8, 2011 at 10:38 PM

First and Last time Mahinmi and Kobe are ever mentioned in the same sentence.

8. jr10cross - Jul 20, 2011 at 3:48 PM

you have to be somewhat arrogant to put up 63 points in 3 quarters in a game and then 2 weeks later throw up 81 because people rip you about missing your chance at greatness. Kobe’s attitude is what makes him what he is, an assassin. I love it. I love to see a guy feel he can defeat anyone in his path and make the game of basketball a war of his own mind and totally delete the idea of thinking that the opponent in front of him is even relevant. It’s like being a super hero on the court.

What are impacts of NBA's new TV deal?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches