Jul 5, 2011, 2:36 PM EST
This time of summer a lot of NBA players show up in high-end street leagues — the Goodman League in D.C. is one of those. There are announcers calling the game, a good level of talent and some fans getting a show.
According to Afro.com, at in D.C. the fans at the Goodman League did get a show.
They got to see John Wall drop 41 points, often showing off an apparently improved jump shot.
They got to see DeMarcus Cousins pick up a technical foul for arguing a traveling call. Cousins was so frustrated he threw the ball out of the gym.
Do you know how hard it is to pick up a technical in a streetball game? (I have not seen a Goodman League game in person, I’ve seen Drew League and others and assume it’s comparable. Which means you really have to earn a T, there is no “respect the game” techs here.) Right now this just plays into the book on Cousins, a guy suspended for games for arguing with coaches, who was fifth in the league in technical as a rookie and who had to be separated from Donte Green in a fight over who got a pass on a fast break. A million dollar body and a five cent head.
Cousins is an immense talent — but an inefficient one, which again ties to the level of maturity, although this time we are talking maturity of game. He fell in love with his jumper when he needed to be using his physical advantages closer to the rim.
Wall seems to be figuring out what he needs — a steady jumper not only gets him points it will open up passing lanes for him. He is maturing and that is a good sign for the Wizards.
We’ll see if the Kings feel the same way about Cousins in a couple years.
- Tom Thibodeau says Derrick Rose ‘didn’t re-injure himself’ after playing just 10 minutes in loss to Nuggets 3
- Lakers granted $4.85 million disabled-player exception for Steve Nash injury 8
- Kobe Bryant: “We’re not a 3-11 team. We’re not.” 23
- Tom Thibodeau is getting tired of answering Derrick Rose questions 15
- Veteran NBA coach: ‘I think (Cavaliers head coach David Blatt) is struggling a bit’ 30
- PBT’s Monday night NBA Winners/Losers: That looks more like the Cavaliers we expected 12
- Carmelo Anthony exits Knicks-Rockets game with apparent back injury 9
- Russell Westbrook and Kevin Durant progressing in rehab, Westbrook could play Friday 6