Jul 5, 2011, 2:36 PM EDT
This time of summer a lot of NBA players show up in high-end street leagues — the Goodman League in D.C. is one of those. There are announcers calling the game, a good level of talent and some fans getting a show.
According to Afro.com, at in D.C. the fans at the Goodman League did get a show.
They got to see John Wall drop 41 points, often showing off an apparently improved jump shot.
They got to see DeMarcus Cousins pick up a technical foul for arguing a traveling call. Cousins was so frustrated he threw the ball out of the gym.
Do you know how hard it is to pick up a technical in a streetball game? (I have not seen a Goodman League game in person, I’ve seen Drew League and others and assume it’s comparable. Which means you really have to earn a T, there is no “respect the game” techs here.) Right now this just plays into the book on Cousins, a guy suspended for games for arguing with coaches, who was fifth in the league in technical as a rookie and who had to be separated from Donte Green in a fight over who got a pass on a fast break. A million dollar body and a five cent head.
Cousins is an immense talent — but an inefficient one, which again ties to the level of maturity, although this time we are talking maturity of game. He fell in love with his jumper when he needed to be using his physical advantages closer to the rim.
Wall seems to be figuring out what he needs — a steady jumper not only gets him points it will open up passing lanes for him. He is maturing and that is a good sign for the Wizards.
We’ll see if the Kings feel the same way about Cousins in a couple years.
- Three things about Game 2: Tony Parker is that good but Randolph, Grizzlies figuring it out 0
- Spurs need overtime in Game 2 to beat Grizzlies, take a 2-0 series lead 0
- Cavaliers bask in another lottery victory 5
- For second time in three years Cavaliers win NBA draft lottery 33
- PBT Extra: Eastern Conference Finals preview time 3
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (64)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car
- Play Video: Metta World Peace the weatherman
- Play Video: Eastern Conference finals preview
- Play Video: Heat gearing for another physical battle
- Play Video: Phil Jackson compares MJ and Kobe
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars