Jul 5, 2011, 2:36 PM EST
This time of summer a lot of NBA players show up in high-end street leagues — the Goodman League in D.C. is one of those. There are announcers calling the game, a good level of talent and some fans getting a show.
According to Afro.com, at in D.C. the fans at the Goodman League did get a show.
They got to see John Wall drop 41 points, often showing off an apparently improved jump shot.
They got to see DeMarcus Cousins pick up a technical foul for arguing a traveling call. Cousins was so frustrated he threw the ball out of the gym.
Do you know how hard it is to pick up a technical in a streetball game? (I have not seen a Goodman League game in person, I’ve seen Drew League and others and assume it’s comparable. Which means you really have to earn a T, there is no “respect the game” techs here.) Right now this just plays into the book on Cousins, a guy suspended for games for arguing with coaches, who was fifth in the league in technical as a rookie and who had to be separated from Donte Green in a fight over who got a pass on a fast break. A million dollar body and a five cent head.
Cousins is an immense talent — but an inefficient one, which again ties to the level of maturity, although this time we are talking maturity of game. He fell in love with his jumper when he needed to be using his physical advantages closer to the rim.
Wall seems to be figuring out what he needs — a steady jumper not only gets him points it will open up passing lanes for him. He is maturing and that is a good sign for the Wizards.
We’ll see if the Kings feel the same way about Cousins in a couple years.
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 1
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 9
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 0
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 28
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 6
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29