Jul 5, 2011, 5:15 PM EDT
According to multiple sources, the Indiana Pacers will officially remove the “interim” tag from Frank Vogel’s head coaching title and announce a three-year extension with him at a press conference on Wednesday morning.
Vogel coached the Pacers to a 20-18 record after taking over for Jim O’Brien in the middle of last season, which allowed the Pacers to get the fifth and final playoff spot. Before Vogel took over, the Pacers were 17-27. The Pacers lost to the Chicago Bulls in five games in the first round of the playoffs, but they played the 62-win Bulls much tougher than just about anybody expected them to.
This is a move that has seemed inevitable for months now, and a good one for the Pacers. The Pacers started to look like they were getting it together in the second half of last season, and Vogel will be a good man to lead the team back into contention.
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 1
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 4
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 36
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 25
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (91)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte