Jul 5, 2011, 1:31 PM EDT
Hey Kyrie Irving, welcome to the NBA. Not the playing basketball part of the NBA, you don’t get to do that until Billy Hunter and David Stern come to an understanding. No, we mean the unwanted attention part of the equation.
Rumors had circulated that a woman — Jessica Jackson, who goes by “Miss Hawaii” but has won that title as many times as I have — was going to release a compromising video of the Cavaliers No. 1 pick Irving around the draft. We didn’t pay much attention because… well, we have better things to do, frankly.
According to the West Orange Police report, Irving says he met Jackson once in person in front of the Ritz Carlton in Charleston, North Carolina for two minutes. The two had a short conversation and then went their separate ways. Irving says Jackson then posted some videos on YouTube blasting him and allegedly threatened to stab him via his Twitter account.
Irving’s attorney also filed a harassment complaint and there was a hearing in West Orange Municipal Court on June 28th for a restraining order against Jackson.
Both Irving and Jackson appeared in court on June 28th, and the judge ordered Jackson not to contact Irving again.
Jackson did apparently try to contact him again, and the attorney went to court. If you want to see one of her twitter rants, you can follow this link, but as the wise Trey Kirby tried to warn us at TBJ, don’t do it — you will never get those minutes back and there are so, so many things you could do with them better than watching the rant. Sitting staring at a blank wall is a better use of your time.
A couple of quick hits here. One, good on Irving for handling this situation professionally and smartly. He kept his mouth shut and took it through channels. He and his people handled this well.
As for Jackson, well, Black Sports Online found out a lot about her and it’s not pretty.
We’re now done with this. Even in the lockout I don’t love venturing down this road. I feel like I need to go take a shower.
- Kevin Durant says he’d ‘love to’ stay with Thunder his entire career, wants his jersey retired in OKC 11
- Anthony Davis says James Harden should be MVP 20
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 7
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 5
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 7