Jul 4, 2011, 11:59 AM EDT
Before the season has even ended the calls start coming in to make sure you are going to get — and pay for — your season tickets for next year. You have to sign up (to keep your seats) before you know what your team will do in the draft or free agency — before you really know what the team will look like.
Or before you know if there will be a season.
But it should be noted that NBA Commissioner David Stern has said multiple times that if the lockout does end up costing games, fans will get their ticket money back with interest (something required by law). The Oregonian checked with the league what happens to fans making ticket payments in monthly installments (something a number of teams put in place as the recession hit).
League spokesman Michael Bass, via e-mail, clarified the league’s stance on season tickets. He said teams should continue to take payments from fans who signed up for monthly payment plans, but teams will halt payment plans if games are canceled.
“Season ticket holders’ investments with teams are completely protected,” Bass said.
Bass added that the league-wide policy is if games are canceled, “All season ticket holders have the option to receive a refund plus interest on a monthly basis for all missed games.”
- Report: Dwight Howard told Lakers GM he was frustrated with D’Antoni 0
- Durant, Thunder players tweet out support for Oklahoma City 4
- Brothers allege entourage of Damian Lillard beat them for taking his picture 17
- Amar’e Stoudemire still thinks Knicks’ front court trio can work 17
- Report: Dwight Howard not going to Clippers… did we need a report for that? 18
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (119)
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (87)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (72)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- PFT: Gronk's arm infection clear after surgery
- HBT: Dodgers have 'no plans' to fire Mattingly
- PBT: Brothers assaulted for taking Lillard's photo?
- PBT: Nets reportedly 'hone in' on Grizzlies' Hollins
- CBT: Ex-Rutgers coach Rice seeks Lucas' counsel
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay